• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Nervous about Hernia after Ileostomy Reversal

So I had a reversal of my looop Ileostomy on the 19th January, so its been four weeks so far. I have been doing good, feeling great and I am desperate to get on a horses back again (keen equestrian) I have slowly started practising general yard work like putting on bridles and lifting light saddles and I have all the muscle for it and have not felt any problems, BUT...

The past week I just cant stop worrying about one end of my scar. It's all scabbed and healing nicely, but slightly above the right side there is a lump, to start with it was tiny, like a grain of sand, now its still small but definatley bigger, as in it covers half the scar.

I understand that my scar wont be perfectly flat but I cant help but hear "hernia" running through my head and its scaring me..
I showed my mum and she thinks its nothing to worry about and just wait until I next see my nurse to see what she thinks.

The main thing is, because of this lump im scared to do anything. Im meant to slowly start helping out at my stables again but im scared to pick up even the lightest of saddles now that this lumps turned up, I feel as if I am ruining everything. In less than Three weeks im meant to be having my first riding lesson and I can not wait, I could cry im so excited and im finding it hard to wait that long. But at the back of my head im nervous that its too early.

A few nights ago I fully broke down because I hate "taking it easy" and my life is nothing without horses, and if this is a hernia I will be out of the saddle for even longer and I cant handle that.

I must say it's something I'm paranoid about too since I got my stoma in December.
I have no experience to go on, but if you are that concerned, just phone your nurse, it's what they are there for.
If it turns out you do have a hernia, then you can deal with it quickly and hopefully limit the size.
One thing to try is to lie flat on your back for an hour, to see if the lump disappears, if it does, it's likely a hernia.

Thank you and sorry for the late reply.

It actually turns out the issue is that the scar won't stop producing tissue, so it closed perfectly but had tissue building up underneath so it was lumpy like a hernia. The skin then burst and now it looks like I have a tiny stoma haha. I have been given some steroid dressing things that should help it settle down and I'll just see what happens. Im glad it's not serious, but it sure is annoying haha!

nogutsnoglory

Congrats on the reversal. Glad the issue isn't serious but still it's early in the healing so just take it easy and don't do anything to strenuous.