• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Nervous about starting methotrexate! HELP?

nervous about starting methotrexate! HELP?

Hi guys.
i'm due to start Methotrexate in about a week and am really nervous after reading the scary side effects, so some info or advice from anyone who's on or been on it would be great!? Look forward to hearing from you.
Hannah xxx:heart::heart::heart:

Since starting on Methotrixate, my life long Crohns disease has been put in remission.
Plus it is so simple to take with a little sub -cu needle that you can't even feel!
The med dose not burn or give any other daily side effects. It has been the first medication that works beyond prednisone for me!

Look, all the IBD medications have side effects. Methotrixate has shown to have less then Remicade and others in that category

Go for it!

Hi Hannah,

I am currently on methotrexate and I felt the same as you really didn't want to go on it. The only side effects I have had is heartburn and nausea but docs have increased my folic acid to help that and it's not as bad now. Have you been on any other medications? If you haven't you could always ask to go on something else like 6pm or aza.
The methotrexate doesn't seem to be making much difference to my symptoms but I think I need a higher dose but docs won't until the heartburn is under control.
Hope whatever choice you make it helps x

I was more afraid of MTX than Cimzia by a longshot. Something about just seemed so horrible. Finally, it became clear that I needed to try something that might buy me some more time with the Cimzia, which was awesome for me, but gradually losing effectiveness. It's been so much better than I thought it would be. I take it at night so that the first several hours I sleep through. I have also had some increased heartburn but not all the time and some weeks nothing at all. My GI is not convinced it's related. There's no real harm in trying. YOu might not have any side affects and if you have some you don't like you can always go off of it. Good luck!

Hi ya, Mthx has put my crohns in remission for a year now, yea I get tired and a bit of nausea - but I can cope and manage this much better than a crohns flare. My bloods are monitored monthly and that is good to make sure everything is ok. I also get iron and b12 etc looked at too every now and then. I like to reward myself after my injection with a glass of fruit juice or something sweet, I find this makes me feel a bit better. It also helps me if I start to procrastenate with it. Good luck and keep us posted on your journey

AZMOM

My daughter just started Methotrexate this summer. She took pills from June until September and then we converted to injections about a month ago. Honestly, we have not seen any of the scary side effects. She's been very healthy - no opportunistic infections, no hair loss, no nausea, liver is fine, none of that stuff. Now all that said, we're not sure it's going to keep her in remission but what I'm saying is that it is worth a shot!

J.

Good luck, hope all goes well!

I start Methotrexate pills on Saturday. I talked with my pharmacist about it and she said it's not as bad as the Remicade I was on last year.........

She said that Metho stops the progress of Crohn's, so I'm happy for that.

:thumleft:

Next stop for me will be Methotrexate I'd say. I was trying to avoid it but my gut feeling tells me I need it.
I hate the sound of it as it is a drug that just sounds so toxic. Your advised not to fall pregnant at all before or after taking it for some months which makes me often wonder what on earth would it be doing to my insides. (I'm done having babies by the way... phew)

I did react to Immuran so I cannot take that and it was not pleasant so I guess I'm in the situation "once bitten twice shy" scenario at the moment.

I've been on methotrexate for about 6 months now and feel absolutely fine on it. Haven't had any real bad side effects as far as I know (always seem tired so not sure if that has to do with it?) but not sure how much it is helping my crohn's as still having symptoms sometimes. Having the monthly blood tests is very reassuring too as I feel I'm being monitored more regularly. Have tried azathioprine, infliximab, mecaptopurine and all had worse side effects.

KWalker

I used to take methotrexate pills but they would make me feel like complete crap, getting sick, hard to move, etc so the doctor switched me to injections (that I did myself) and I had no problems at all. I did it in the top of the leg, and I couldn't even feel it for the most part. I think the worst part was trying to get the stupid syringe full without any bubbles lol

I have been on the pills for 3 weeks, and I'm with you KWalker, I feel like crap. My Crohn's symptoms never stop, and I have new pain under all my ribs and on the left side.

I've also had scar tissue develop since my surgery in Feb. The Dr. went in with a colonoscopy and dilated it, but I'm still having pain from that 3 weeks ago.

I'm really hating everything right now, but I go to the Dr. today to see what he says. I'd rather take nothing than to feel like this.
Good luck everyone..... :)

I used to take methotrexate pills but they would make me feel like complete crap, getting sick, hard to move, etc so the doctor switched me to injections (that I did myself) and I had no problems at all. I did it in the top of the leg, and I couldn't even feel it for the most part. I think the worst part was trying to get the stupid syringe full without any bubbles lol
Don't worry about the air bubbles....you should be using a small needle
(less than 1/2 inch) and just goes into tissue NOT a vein!

KWalker

Oh really? Yeah the needles are really small. I was always told air bubbles are a big no no. I got good at it eventually lol but that's good to know. Thanks!

Hi everyone
I started Mrtho on Thursday 15mg (6 tabs) I also take 5mg folic acid and tons of toter tabs.
Should I be taking iron & b12 too?
My Crohn's has been flaring/bleeding for 8 months, I failed on 6-mp so they GI changed me to Metho.
Any advice greatly appreciated
Thanks