• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Nervous newbie, help needed in dealing with crohn's and depression

Hello all. Just signed up to the website today, taken a fair bit of courage since I have rarely talked about crohn's with anyone outside of my immediate family (and obviously my doctors) since being diagnosed in March 2012.
I am 20 years old now and have recently had to drop out of university at the end of Year 2 of 3 due to my crohn's and also depression, possibly brought on by crohn's.

Having moved back home my crohn's seems to be calming down for now since increasing my azathioprine dose to 125mg a day. I am coming off the steroid, prednisolone (currently on 15mg, due to decrease to 10mg tomorrow) since my symptoms appear to be bearable now the azathioprine is working.
The depression is still very much an issue though, I am currently without work so I'm sitting around passing the time by walking the dog, cooking, video games etc. I just can't find the motivation to get out and find myself a job, mainly because I don't know how. I've never really had a proper job, i've earned money refereeing football matches and as a cleaner at the local football club but a proper job in a shop or anything has never happened for me.

I'm hoping to continue studying part time with the Open University (will be about 6 weeks until i know whether that's going to happen). But I feel without a job or even some volunteer work to focus on my depression will linger and inevitably bring on another crohn's flare up.
Any advice on how I can get into work asap as a crohn's sufferer would be much appreciated. Thanks to anyone who's taken the time to read all that, any advice and support would be really great, i'm at a definite low point in my life at the moment.
Apologies if i've abused the forum or anything here, didn't know where else to turn.
Thanks again in advance for understanding.

J

Your story is typical of a crohns patient from what I have read. Crohns takes a toll on you physically and mentally and can contribute to depression. I also suffer from depression but I had it before I knew about the crohns. I would encourage you to stay busy and looking for a job can occupy your time a bit. I like your thoughts of volunteering as well. It feels good to help others. Welcome to the forum. Your not abusing anything and feel free to ask question, there are a lot of smart folks on the forum that loves to help.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear you're not well. Crohns can certainly reek havoc on our physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing. Unfortunately depression is very common in individuals with chronic issues. Mention it to your doctors.

Things I've done to manage crohns and mental health:

1. Get control of the disease as best as possible - proper medication is required. Talk to the GI about treatment moving forward
2. Find a good councilor to help with the depression

Preventative medicine:
1. Keep a food and symptom journal to identify problem foods
2. Lead a healthy lifestyle. Try and walk everyday. Even if its only around the living room
3. Call a friend everyday
4. Volunteer

Some people have successfully managed symptoms through diet. Browse this forum and youll see the different diets.

One thing I forgot - get your blood checked to rule out vitamins deficiencies, iron, D, B12, etc.

Sending you my support.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello. Welcome to the forum :)

You aren't abusing anything, this is exactly what we're here for.

I can really relate to your position, I had to leave my nursing degree because I was too sick, and just last week was told I'm not allowed to return this year because I'm still not healthy enough. I'm currently classed as not fit to work too, so I can't even look for a part time job, and can't retrain at college level because I don't currently have the funds to support myself for the duration of the course. So I can really appreciate how you are feeling right now.

I know it's a huge blow to go from studying and being active to being at home all day totally dependent on other people. But this is just a blip. It's not forever. Hopefully it won't be the same for you as it was for me.

Open university sounds like a great option if it's viable. It wasn't available to me due to the nature of my course but it sounds like it could be ideal for you as it would allow you to continue your studies while allowing you to take time out whenever you needed it.

There are many young people with and without crohns who have been in your position job wise. Have you thought about signing on with a job centre when you feel well enough to work? They can help you get in contact with employment agencies, help you get into courses like first aid which can really boost your cv and get you into recruitment days. They can also help you create a good cv if you don't already have one and help you with interview skills.

For the time being though it is ok to focus on your health. It took me a while to realise that but it really is ok to take some time out to recover. Your young, you have plenty of time ahead to get your career back on track. I know that's not a great consolation right now and it might be the last thing you want to hear, but it is the truth. Be patient with yourself, let yourself heal and then tackle the world head on.