• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Neutropenia

Anyone dealt with drug induced neutropenia?
I’ve been on high dose Remicade and Cellcept for about 6 months. Just now developed a pretty bad case of neutropenia, ANC level is 0.4. Doctor took me off Cellcept and we are rechecking a level in 2 weeks, maybe sooner. Another MD friend told me Remicade rarely causes neutropenia, I am hoping it’s just the cellcept or combination. Would hate to have to discontinue Remi.

I have no personal experience with this but was curious since my son is on Remicade and .4 is quite low. This is what I found:

This report found neutropenia (<2000 neutrophils or 2.0 [compared to your .4]) in 18% of rheumatologic patients receiving anti-tumor necrosis factor.

This
says up to 2% of patients receiving cellcept become neutropenic.

If you continue on it, you would probably need to have your blood tested frequently to make sure you weren't neutropenic.

Please take care of yourself (stay away from sick people) and I hope your WBC rises quickly.

Not a fan of the older types of immunosuppresants like Azathioprine or Methotrezate. Azathioprine may have caused my male breast cancer and I definitely got Shingles from Methotrexate. Cellcept was developed for organ transplant, an alternative to Azathioprine, has been used for Lupus but is not generally used for IBD. I wouldn't try it because the side effects can be very serious even if rare.

Not a fan of the older types of immunosuppresants like Azathioprine or Methotrezate. Azathioprine may have caused my male breast cancer and I definitely got Shingles from Methotrexate. Cellcept was developed for organ transplant, an alternative to Azathioprine, has been used for Lupus but is not generally used for IBD. I wouldn't try it because the side effects can be very serious even if rare.
we only went to Cellcept because I'm allergic to Methotrexate and can't tolerate 6MP/AZA. I'm limited. :/