• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Never been so insulted in my whole life

I appologize in advance for the rant, which may come across as me being a whiner, but need to get this off my chest, don't have anyone around that I can talk to.

So today I got my annual evaluation at work. I was sick for 70% of the last reporting period, so I fully expected it to be lower than last year's, which it was. Didn't mean that it hurt any less, but it was expected.

So then my boss proceeds to tell me that despite my lower evaluation than last year, I still have potential to progress. Because I have been in my dark and twisty place for the past few weeks and can't seem to get myself out of the funk, I proceeded to tell her that once the decison comes from the medical ppl, my career is done, so my potential doesn't really matter (I'm in the military for those who don't know).

Then she tells me "well you don't know, things could completely turn around and you could stay in" read between the lines, magic cure. What part of lifetime chronic illness does she not understand? Yes, physically things have turned around, thanks to Remicade, which makes me undeployable therefore unemployable. That frustrated me.

But the part that insulted me was this. I'm suppose to change positions this summer. Because of my medical category, I can't be posted, so I need to be moved within the base, but I haven't been told where yet. My boss told me that it was felt that I didn't have enough admin experience for the positions I was I initially considered for, which is BS because I probably have more expeience than any of the other ppl being considered, so basically it means that nobody wants me to work for them. I know my boss has dragged my reputation through the mud, but also it's likely that nobody wants the sick girl. I have never felt so inadequate in my life.

nogutsnoglory

I'm sorry it really sucks when you know the truth is probably discrimination based on your health status. I know there are all these protections but at the end of the day if someone doesn't want us for the obvious reasons and burdens we bring, they will find any reason other than health to justify it :(

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. It just drives me nuts how people can be so insensitive and rude. People just don't get chronic illness unless they are actually afflicted with one or is close to someone who has a chronic debilitating illness. For some stupid reason, society, especially the healthy society does not seem to accept chronic illness, nor do they understand it. iT is really sad. I wish some of these people could live in our shoes for a year and then see how they feel about things!!!!

Can't say I blame them for not wanting me in their sqn's.. Doesn't make me feel any better about myself though.

I know that is probably beside the point, but is the rational for making undeployable due to Remicade that you could not get an infusion when deployed? Would they say the same about Humira or aza or a combination?

Just curious... And I feel with you, it sucks being told to not being able to do something because of Crohn's.

I know that is probably beside the point, but is the rational for making undeployable due to Remicade that you could not get an infusion when deployed? Would they say the same about Humira or aza or a combination?

Just curious... And I feel with you, it sucks being told to not being able to do something because of Crohn's.
Pretty much yes. I have fistulizing Crohn's, so Remicade was the recommendation by my GI. Humira would be the same case though because it needs to be refrigerated.

Even without medications, I still violate the guidelines for being able to stay in. The Canadian Forces framwork for dealing with IBD cases has two lists. Violate the lists and they will likely recommend release. The first list is a list of conditions. Fistula is on the top of that list. The other things are things like resection, colostomy, etc. the second list is medications. Both Remicade and Humira are on that one. They also consider number of surgeries, how often you've been hospitalized and how much sick leave you have used,