• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New and just had a bowel resection

Hi,
I am 35 and have had a crohn's diagnosis for about 14 years. I have been on multiple meds and never really had much trouble after that. I had a doctor tell me that if I don't have symptoms then I don't need meds. Not wanting to take medication if I didn't need to I decided to stop. I did okay for a long time having only mild right lower abdominal pain. My Crohn's was in my terminal ileum. Recently, I went to the ER with severe abdominal pain and vomiting. The next day I had my gallbladder removed. Time went on and I continued to have significant abdominal pain. Two months later I went to the ER and was diagnosed with a small bowel obstruction. I was taken to surgery where a resection was done taking some of my small bowel, terminal ileum, ileocecal valve, cecum and appendix. I was sent home 7 days later only to return 5 days later with an ileus. My resection was done on the 8/10. I'm still finding that I have very little energy, no appetite, and can't eat anything without being next to the bathroom. Sometimes I think it would be easier to eat my meals IN the bathroom! When I was in the hospital the GI doc discussed the possibility of going on Remicade. I don't really know much about it. I am following a low residue diet and have to follow up with my surgeon this week. Feeling frustrated about everything. I've been out of work since June 3rd. Sorry guys, I know I have been rambling a bit but it just feels good to get it out and know that some of you have been where I am right now and survived it.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you've been having so many problems.

When did you last get your vitamins checked? Vitamin and mineral deficiencies can cause a lot of tiredness and lack of appetite, so it might be worth asking your doctor about some blood tests for Vit B, C and D and Iron, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc. It is also important to remember that surgery is a massive shock to your body.. its normal to have less energy for a while as all your spare energy is being used to help heal. The frequent/urgent bowel movements may be an after affect of the resection, many people find that it takes some time for bowel habits to settle down. Your doctor may prescribe you something to help with this.

We have a sub-forum for remicade//infliximab which is full of support and inflammation for those using the medication or making a decision about whether or not its right for them : http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Hope this helps :) and never apologize for getting things off your chest. That's what we're here for ;)

Hi Mel you and your body have certainly been through a lot! You've not long had a major operation you need to give your self a break and time to rest and recover. It wouldn't be uncommon for your BMs and eating patterns to be disturbed if you've had an ileus. I was fortunate not to have one, but my guts did take they're time to wake up so I sympathise with how hard that must have been.

Like Nicola said, make sure they keep up with your blood work and don't be afraid to get some advice on nutrition and light exercise to help build up your strength. I hope you feel better soon. Please keep us posted.

Hi,
I am 35 and have had a crohn's diagnosis for about 14 years. I have been on multiple meds and never really had much trouble after that. I had a doctor tell me that if I don't have symptoms then I don't need meds. Not wanting to take medication if I didn't need to I decided to stop. I did okay for a long time having only mild right lower abdominal pain. My Crohn's was in my terminal ileum. Recently, I went to the ER with severe abdominal pain and vomiting. The next day I had my gallbladder removed. Time went on and I continued to have significant abdominal pain. Two months later I went to the ER and was diagnosed with a small bowel obstruction. I was taken to surgery where a resection was done taking some of my small bowel, terminal ileum, ileocecal valve, cecum and appendix. I was sent home 7 days later only to return 5 days later with an ileus. My resection was done on the 8/10. I'm still finding that I have very little energy, no appetite, and can't eat anything without being next to the bathroom. Sometimes I think it would be easier to eat my meals IN the bathroom! When I was in the hospital the GI doc discussed the possibility of going on Remicade. I don't really know much about it. I am following a low residue diet and have to follow up with my surgeon this week. Feeling frustrated about everything. I've been out of work since June 3rd. Sorry guys, I know I have been rambling a bit but it just feels good to get it out and know that some of you have been where I am right now and survived it.
It will get better, the body is a powerful thing. Your body will adjust and act accordingly. It's only natural that you have those symptoms, I had a similar resection over 20 years ago. I will say this, imagine that surgery 20 years ago. Keep up the fight, just understand that at the points of your resection you will naturally develop scar tissue, and narrowing anyway, thus possibility of obstruction is natural, don't worry your body will adjust. it will take time, months or years, but the body will adapt.