• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New and undiagnosed

Hello

Have been ill for about 4 years, diagnosed with having IBS around 2013.

I think I have crohn's because my brother's been partially-diagnosed with it and we have similar symptoms, a history of bowel disease in family also (mum's a coeliacs, dad's always had sensitive system although never anything major).

Still awaiting further tests by drs.

It mainly started with bizarre sounds coming from my stomach that were a bit beyond 'growls', that was in 2009. Then in late-2010 the trouble really started, my gas really changed and became hard to control, B.O really changed (ever since that it has often been very extreme in nature, the doctors never listen to me when I tell them this), felt ultra-sensitive around my abdomen (to the point where I couldn't and still can't lay on my left, right sides in bed and definitely never flat), had to sit up straight at all times and stand up quite straight too.

Doctors really weren't listening to a word and kept prescribing simple laxatives, went for one hospital appt in 2010, they didn't even examine my bowels (???) as they said they would (I don't live in London anymore or go to that surgery and these things have really helped push my diagnosis/cure further along).

Kind of was forced to get through life without thinking about myself in 2011, 2012 and half of 2013 due to the intense pressure and stress on me to keep mine and my dad's head above water, so bore the illness as best as I could as it kept getting worse.

So fast forwarding a bit, the doctors have been saying to stick to a FODMAP, lactose-free, gluten-free diet just to be on the safe side, this has been tough but seems to have some good effects. This colofac medication (mebeverine) seems to help me as well. I was having some charcoal + chlorophyllin tablets to help control the smell, those also have helped me a bit (recently started taking just activated charcoal tablets as opposed to nullo, not as strong but not as constipated as when I was on the nullo). Have tried enemas and these definitely seem to have a good effect too.

All in all, think things are improving but still difficult to avoid bad foods, stress and with little money it's very difficult to maintain steadfast routines + have all the medication and things there that you need. So tired of having my bowels dictate how my day pans out..I know there's evidence of people like Marilyn Monroe famously not going on stage for being locked in the toilets, but this is a bit extreme. :ybiggrin:

Someone recommended me this supposed experimental anti-inflammatory drug called Reservatrol if anyone knows anything about it?

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community. I'm sorry you've been through so much :(

During all of this, have you had a colonoscopy? If not, it may be time to demand one.

All my best to you.

Thanks Dave, yep they are doing a stool sample next, moving surgery also. Moving to one that deals with a lot of old patients (they don't take any chances which is EXACTLY what I need). My brother had a sigmoidoscopy, a colonoscopy and a biopsy too, which I'm fairly certain is what I need..