• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New and worried!

Hello, I'm new here, so I'm not sure how this works. My name is Sara. 4 years ago I met an awesome man and fell in love. Because we are both in college in 2 different states. We decided not to be in a relationship. About a year after we met, he was diagnosed with Crohn's. He's been handling it very well. A year after he was diagnosed he had an abscess that put him in the hospital for a few days and he had surgery. He did really well for a year. we both graduate from college in May so we decided to start a relationship. A couple of days ago, He started having really bad pains in his stomach. He went to the hospital and found out he had another abscess. He had surgery yesterday. After his surgery, he was in a lot of pain and he was throwing up. Today his temperature was 92 and then it went up to 102. Eventually, it was normal. Hopefully I'll get to bring him home tomorrow.
I've been in college for 5 years studing nursing and child development, so I have learned a lot about crohn's over the last few years. Although I know a lot about Crohn's, I'm very worried because I don't know what I can do to help him, or comfort him throughout this (mostly when he's in the hospital). He is an absolutely wonderful person. He has been apologizing everyday for the last 2 weeks. He keeps saying he's sorry because him being in the hospital has ruined my plans (which it hasn't). I've told him numerous times that he doesn't have to apologize to me, I just want him to feel better. I feel bad because he thinks it's ruining my life. Any thoughts on what I can do to help in this situation?

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I think it is great that you have come here to get some info on how to help your partner, the only thing I could advise is to keep doing what you are doing - being supportive and letting know that he is not a burden. We do also have a family/partners sub forum here that is worth having a look at to get some advise from others coming from 'your side' of the situation.

Out of interest do you know what meds he is on for his crohn's? Does he follow any type of diet?

AB
xx

Hello, Thanks for responding! Right now, he is taking b12 injections and Cimzia shots every month. He is very underweight right now. He has loss 33lbs in the last month. He does not currently follow a diet. We've been disscussing starting him on a diet, but we have no clue where to start! His doctor doesn't seem to be much help at all. We're thinking about switching to a new doctor. Thanks again for the response!

Saralynn,

welcome to the forum.
Each person is different with their Crohns symptoms and what foods cause them the most problems. A lot of people go on an all liquid diet when they are having so many problems, to give the digestive track a break and make sure he is getting all the nutrients his body needs. (Enteral Nutrition) You can research more about it on this site.

The goal is to of course, to put the Crohns into remission. Most patients, including my daughter was put on Prednisone for a 6 week period. Is that something the doctor is considering? although I do not like prednisone for all of its side effects, it serves a great purpose for a short period of time, while the other medications are taking effect.

The diet my daughter went on when she was first diagnosed was a low fiber, low residue diet. No seeds, NO POPCORN (husks cause the problem), low sugar,...
Did this help? I am not sure. The less BM, the better for a while.

Now she can eat anything, except lactose. many Crohns/IBD patients are lacatose intolerant, or it is also a theory that the Crohns feeds off lactose. No matter, our daughter does better without it. However, many people must continue a strict diet.

Your boyfriend is very blessed to have you in his life, and hopefully he will be in remission soon.

Angrybird

I agree with Julie that it may be worth looking into enteral nutrition, this can help settle the tum whilst also getting the needed calories and nutrients into the body.

Thanks AB and Julie! His doctor has never mentioned Prednisone, but we will look into it. We will also look into Enteral Nutrition. This is a great place to start. Thanks for the advice! If you think of anything else, let me know!

Hi saralynn,
I think your so sweet to be worried. He's lucky to have you.
Not much advice about the medical side of things but my suggesting is when he says he's ruining your plans, just say is if roles were reversed you would take care of me, right? Put it back in his lap. That why he will feel better with the idea of returning the favor some day. Just and idea.
Hugs