• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New aussie guy says hello

hi there people,just dropping a line to say hello,im a 32 year old male from Wollongong australlia and was diagnosed with Crohn's about 4 years ago have had several hospital visits,had fistulas/abscess cut out,currently have 4 permanant setons in place for past 2 years,severe reflux plus meds for it,been on 100mg Imuran for about 2 years and still trying to get my head around this disease,i work fulltime which can be a struggle at times,wondering if this pretty normal for some with this disease :poo:

Hi catherine,yes when I first started inmuran I would get a blood test once a month but now its every 3 months as they always come back normal

The dr has told me he will up my dose if it comes to it, before i started imuran I was in a pretty bad way,could not work or do much at all, with in 3 months of starting imuran was back at work and back to being partly normal

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi bjgong and welcome. :)

What I would do in your situation is firstly to have a Thiopurine Metabolites blood test done. If you are at sub therapeutic levels then your dose should be increased. If on the other hand you are at therapeutic levels then Imuran is failing you and you need to move onto a biologic…Remicade or Humira.

Fistulas and abscesses are complications of Crohn’s and indicative that your disease is not under control. Personally I don’t think that the doctor should be satisfied with the situation you are in and should be doing more to move you into a state of remission.

Dusty. xxx