• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New but not diagnosed, crazy symptoms

Hello

Im new and am very confused.

My story is I took a course of antibiotics on New Year.

Had major diarrhea, and to date my bowels are still not normal.

Im still going "loosely" once or twice a day.

Ive been tested for CDiff and bacteria. Negative.

I had a Calprotectin test come back at 35, which supposedly means IBS but my CRP has come back at 18!

Anyone have any ideas on whats going on?:sign0085:

Lizzie67

The GP I did see was quite stern and said, IBS, no further tests are needed and my CRP may be elevated as Im overweight!

x

You have not mentioned the units of your CRP. Normal values range from 0-5 mg/l or 0-0.5 mg/dl (varies from lab to lab; these are conservative figures). I had 0.36 mg/l in December. It is a non-specific marker of inflammation, and can be elevated in infections or due to obesity etc. What are your other blood results?

Hello

The range for CRP is under 5 is normal.

All my other bloods are OK apart from a slightly low ferritin level.

My thyroid was also low, so I have to increase my meds.

I am very overweight.

My point is, surely the CRP is linked to my bad bowel?

The GP said it was IBS because of the normal calprotectin level.

Im so upset by all this, I really want a definite diagnosis. I cant live like this anymore.

Thank you for replying x

Thank you.

I did try to find out about getting a colonoscopy done privately, but cannot afford it.

The lady I spoke to said she had spoken to her consultant husband and he recommends a colonoscopy because of the change in bowel habit and the high CRP. I told her the GP said the high CRP could be due to my weight and she told me no, that's wrong.

Im at a loss. Wont see the GP until Friday to ask about further testing.

Of course, bowel cancer springs to mind, first of all.

This is not helped by the fact that my poor cousin has bowel cancer at the moment.

x

Antibiotics can really mess up your bowel. I would maybe try taking a probiotic? Eat a lot of yogurt. Try not to eat anything greasy or sugary for awhile.. Yeast and sugar can really cause the bowel bacteria to get out of whack. If you aren't having any abdominal pain, I wouldn't be too worried. I would try taking some immodium or an anti diarrheal when you are having episodes of diarrhea and see if that helps slow things down. CRP is a general inflammation marker.. If you have a bruise it can sometimes increase your CRP. It's not a great marker for bowel issues as it's not specific.

Hello

Thank you for the reply!

Im at home all day, now the kids are back at school after Easter.

Ive really become obsessed with my bowels.

I have just been sitting on the sofa, on the computer, watching crap TV.

I think today I was a little gassy in the tummy? I had sprouts yesterday.

I do have severe health anxiety too as well as my cousin gong through bowel cancer atm and I dont know if Im overthinking everything.

I will see my GP on Friday and ask (again!).

Is 18 a really high CRP value?

x

You do not mention the units. If in mg/l, this is above the range. If in mg/dl, this is way above the range, in my opinion.

It could cause it to be elevated yes.. Did you just have it done? It could be your body reacting to a foreign substance in your body..

it could be a lot of things.. but that could probably contribute to your high crp.. I would think it would be down after that much time, but you never know.. the body is a weird thing