• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New, but old...

Hi all, I'm new to this group, but not new to Crohns.

Was diagnosed in 1998 at age 37, but suffered for about 5 years prior to the 'big flare'. Have run the gamut of meds, with most of them causing acute pancreatitis. Many GI's have been puzzled by my case. Have had pancreatitis approx. 8 -10 times over the course of the disease. Luckily have never needed surgery, but pancreatitis now coming with each flare, and last 2 flares appear to be caused by antibiotics. Most recent flare, for no reason and pancreatitis appeared again. Managed to get through it this time w/o hospitalization thankfully.

Best med for me is methotrexate, which put me into remission for a 5 year span! I was on absolutely no meds for that time, but last 18 months have had 3 flares again (antibiotic related). Starting to wean off steroids now due to recent flare, and started methotrexate again a few weeks ago to aim for remission again. Battling withdrawal stuff now, depression, headaches etc. Hoping they get better soon!

I get through it with a positive attitude telling myself that there are so many other people with worse problems and diseases. That helps!