• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New & Confused

Here's my story:
Back in May I went to the dr. because I thought I had a fistula developing where I had rectocele surgery 1.5 yrs ago. By OB/GYN thought it looked but sent me to a general surgeon. General Surgeon said everything looked but to make sure he sent me for a CT scan and colonoscopy. CT Scan came back normal. They did biopsies during the colonoscopy not sure where maybe end part of small intestine. Biopsies came back as inflammation. GI dr then ordered a Upper GI and small bowel follow through barium x-rays and Prometheus IBD sgi Diagnostic. Barium xrays all came back good but the blood work was consistent with Crohn's. Now the GI dr want to do a capsule endoscopy but first we need to go over everything I've had so far.

I'm confused as to why one thing showed inflammation and the other didn't. Because I've got inflammation and the blood work is consistent with Crohn's does that mean I have it or does it mean I have a better chance of getting? Also is the capsule endoscopy something that is even worth doing?
I must add that I've never really considered myself having anything like this. Things I've experience have been blood in stool and pain when going at times which I chalked up to fissures, bloating or a lot of gassiness which I've figured had to do with being overweight. I've read about Crohn's but wouldn't have thought of it being me. So I'm just confused and hope to get more info at my next appt where we'll decided about the capsule endoscopy.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Hi and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

I can understand where it can be frusterating not only having so many medical tests, but where it also seems like each test shows something different. That has happened to me as well. However, sometimes there's something on each test which can pinpoint something that the others don't.

This is what happened to me with the capsule endoscopy. If you're interested, there is some information about this test in our forum wiki. Honestly, none of us ever thought that we'd wind up with this medical challenge either. But, all you can do is the best you can. You've come to a great place though for information and support. Please let me know if you need to talk. Take care.

@Cross-stitch gal - thank you for the reply. I will read up some more on the capsule endoscopy. I've been caught off guard by all of this as I didn't even go to the doctor for anything likes this to possibly have Crohn's and really don't feel that I'm suffering from what it seems a lot of people suffer from. I didn't really expect the blood work to show all 4 genes mutated either. So time will only tell what lies ahead.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Crohn's and other forms of IBD/IBS are different with everyone. It effects everybody differently. For me, I was in remission for years. But, this last flare is where I've suffered the most. Best thing to do is to feel blessed for the good times and be thankful for those you can lean on in the harder ones...