• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New diag of Crohns

Hi my name is Mark 23yo and i have recently been diagnosed with Crohns, I actually had diarhoia and stomach pains for months before I did anything about it and was hospitalized after dehydration and collapsing in my local gp, I was rushed to hospital because I let my body suffer through the symptoms unaware of what was going on, i'm self employed and had to work to pay the bills but now i'm off work now and receiving a variety of different treatments, I seem to be doing ok now i'm eating again and rebuilding my body back to normal strength but need the drugs to keep Crohns at bay.

I hope to be working again soon and i'm very interested in everyone else's stories hear as i don't know anyone else who has this decease.

much love Mark

Angrybird

Hello Mark and :welcome: to the forum.

What meds are you now on for your crohn's? Is the tum fully settled or is there still some way to go? When are you next due to see your doc for a check up on how things are going?

There is a lot of helpful info and support here so do have a good look around :)

AB
xx

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear you were having a bad time. I also have Crohn's and have had it for at least 6 years. Funnily enough, when I was diagnosed I thought I was the only person with it because I'd never heard of it before. However, quite a lot of people have it they just tend not to talk about it because of what the symptoms entail. I'm 22 (23 soon), and have recently come out of a really bad flare where I had to defer the last year of uni, but things are looking up.

I'm glad you are on the mend though. Have you thought about possibly altering your diet in case some of the foods you ate might have triggered your flare?

When you have time search around the internet and this site, but be careful about what you read and don't let some articles scare you. No two patients or cases of Crohn's are the same.

All the best,

Sam x

Hi Mark! Welcome! I've had Crohn's for 25 yrs and my 19 yr old son was just diagnosed. The best thing is to talk about it and learn what works for you. Like Miss Sammy said, no two cases are the same!

Hi again guys, i currently on prednisolone and an anti inflammatory and calcium vit D3 supplement along with some supplement drinks, its hard going as my muscles are locking up recently. Thanks for replying though i'll look around the site as much as possible and see someone about my diet soon i'm not sure if fried breakfasts and junk food are doing me any good but old habbits will be hard to change :p

Mark,

I've had Crohn's for more than 40 years and most of that time have been self employed, so I understand where you are right now. Don't let it get you down. It will take some time to sort out just what works for you regarding the Crohn's. If something doesn't work for you, try something else. There's a lot of research going on and new meds are being discovered all the time. I just found this forum too, so support is out there, even for an old guy like me! Just remember that you control your choices, not the Crohn's!

Good luck!

Scott

afidz

Super Moderator
Hi Mark!
Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but it seems like everything is getting better. In regards to your muscles locking up, have you had your vitamin levels checked lately? I did a little research and that can be a sign of low B12, which is very common with Crohn's. Also there is a thread that was started a while back about common safe and unsafe foods. Everyone handles types of foods differently, but this thread narrows it down to the repeat offenders. Also, another great thing to figure out the best diet for you is to keep a food journal, that way you can pin point what upsets you and what doesn't. Hope this helps! Below is the link to that thread I mentioned
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=17707