• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Diagnosis? Ileitis associated with spondylarthropathy?

So for those of you who have read I just did my story a few days ago. The Dr. called me back after biopsies and telling me she doesn't think it is Crohn's now.
My biopsies came back acute ileitis, rather than chronic. Which she didn't expect at all, she had literally told me she was SURE it was Crohn's. So now I'm really confused. For those who have followed I have said I feel like I have had much less actual stomach/bowel symptoms than many of you here and that mine were more back pain, chest pain, and a variety of odd muscle pains etc. This is leading me to think that Ileitis associated with spondylarthropathy is possible. I like to do my own homework.

Does anyone on here have this or had this as a possible diagnosis or has come out with acute ileitis rather than chronic?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Christina

Hi Christina
Wish I had some definitive input to offer, but based on personal experience, I certainly understand your situation.
Personally, I have a formal diagnosis of Crohn's colitis.
3 years down the track, I had a "normal" repeat colonoscopy recently ( with inflammatory cells upper limit of normal)
Bowel symptoms are minimal, unremarkable.
However I do take regular night time analgesics, and nightly apply steroid and NSAID cream/gel to SI joints/anterior chest wall... And recently anterior lower leg for probably erythema nodosum.
All I can say is, that we live with a strange disease!
For myself, I prefer to manage the symptoms with lower tier medications.. As I say, the bowel is fairly unremarkable. If the chest pain isn't ischemic or embolic, then it's a matter of finding a treatment regime that keeps you pain free.
HD

Hello Ckoenig. I am going to write something that I research. Spondyloarthrophaties are associated with several extra-articular manifestations, including Acute anterior uveitis, genital and skin lesions & inflammatory gut lesions. Two types of gut inflammation in patients with SpA can be distinguished, Acute & Chronic inflammation. Some patients with SpA did not present any signs of CD, but demostrated gut inflammation on biopsy. They developed CD 2 to 9 years later.