• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Diagnosis

Hello I am 61 years old. I have been a recreational marijuana user since age 18. Never in association with my job or with activities where it may have affected my critical judgement skills.
I noticed years ago that smoking made my occasional "gut aches" better. I had no other symptoms than these abdominal discomforts.
Several years ago my supervisor at work "volunteered" our department for random drug screens. As a result,I ceased my marijuana usage. Coincidentally I noticed my abdominal discomfort to be worsened and more frequent.
At age 60 I had my 10 year screening colonoscopy and learned that I had moderate to advanced Crohn's Disease.I am now on Pentasa. My abdominal discomfort had not changed after 6 months of Pentasa. Luckily I had no other symptoms.
Fortunately, I was able to retire and live a financially conservative lifestyle. I retired hoping leaving my very stressful occupation behind would lessen my stress and decrease my discomfort and risk of more serious symptoms.
Since I no longer was subjected to random drug screens, I again took up the use of marijuana. With marijuana usage,my abdominal pain decreased significantly.
Recently I read the Meir University study on Med. Marijuana and Crohns, which was reprinted in the Aug.2013 Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
Perhaps my long usage of marijuana was responsible for my mild symptoms. I now plan to relocate to one of the 20 states that have legal medicinal marijuana.