• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New drug, natural, awaiting FDA approval

Hm. This looks really interesting. If it works, this could be the next best thing to stem cell since it's natural. I'm all for not putting artificial chemicals in my body. :]

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Sounds too good to be true! I am going to have to keep on top of this one.

Oh man that sounds promising. Thank you for sharing the link :) Let's hope it soon becomes another viable option in treating IBD.

Iv'e been on a Chinese herb that was used in a hospital in Bejing for crohns and colitis. The Chinese make it into a tea from the plant leaf and it is now extracted into a capsule form. I wonder if thats it?

Carrie630

The Prettiest Princess
Nosick, do you get it from a chinese doctor? You could ask them if its the same thing. they may know it by the picture or something? The traditional Chinese Doctors that we have around here don't really tell you what's in your prescription. It all has chinese names.

Nosick, do you get it from a chinese doctor? You could ask them if its the same thing. they may know it by the picture or something? The traditional Chinese Doctors that we have around here don't really tell you what's in your prescription. It all has chinese names.
My GI doc told me about this last year. I get it from a local health food store that is owned by another patient of my doctor (who has ulcerative colitis). It has several ingredients that are all Chinese and the link above looks like the plant name is Latin. Could be the same but I can't really say that I understand either language:lol:

I have had great success with this but, one thing I have learned about this disease, everyone is different.

Jessi

"In Malaysia, it is known as Hempedu Bumi, which literally means 'bile of earth' since it is one of the most bitter plants that are used in traditional medicine."

How fitting that the 'bile of the earth' could help fix some of our digestive probs! :D

god i sincerly hope this is soon rather than later ,
i've avoided immunosuppressers for so long
but my time is running out and no doubt i'll be in the 6mp club by the end of the year never mind it's always good to have hope on the horizon thanks so much for sharing x

It also says existing treatments include drugs that are not recommended for long-term use because of serious side effects such as acne and puffiness of the face.
Swing and a miss. Did they forget about immunosuppression, toxicity, anaphylaxis and other actual serious side effects of treatments?

The article is more about Chinese pharmaceutical companies than the drug itself. Did they even mention its efficacy? The Wikipedia article mentioned a study that found it to be on par with mesalamine for UC. Hopefully more information about it is published soon.

While I'm excited by the possibilities, I have to wonder whether or not there really is a "cure." If diet plays a significant role in auto-immune, then what's to stop it from coming back after you've been cured if other things in your life (i.e. diet) don't change?

Swing and a miss. Did they forget about immunosuppression, toxicity, anaphylaxis and other actual serious side effects of treatments?
I noticed that too! I was thinking, "It has side effects a lot more 'serious' than that..." I chalked it up to ignorance, but I suppose when writing is what you do for a living that's no excuse.

I noticed that too! I was thinking, "It has side effects a lot more 'serious' than that..." I chalked it up to ignorance, but I suppose when writing is what you do for a living that's no excuse.
Yeah, I expected better from the Wall Street Journal for some reason. My first impression was that they're trying to appeal to people who would see not looking pretty as a bigger concern than serious medical risks, which they may have a harder time grasping without being in a patient's position. It doesn't really do IBD justice, though. They kind of sugar coated it. I'm sure plenty of patients would deal with acne and moonface if a treatment worked well without other serious side effects. I know I would have.

David

Co-Founder
Update:

I consider myself to currently be in remission after a 15 month long flare. I feel FANTASTIC. The only issue I have at present is some lingering costochondritis which is slowly getting better.

Is this supplement the reason? I have no idea. But it sure didn't hurt! All I'm taking is the supplement above, d-hist and salmon oil. I'm also eating extremely healthy (no processed foods, ALL organic) and getting plenty of exercise.

Please note I have a different form of IBD than most of you (Lymphocytic Colitis).

Is this drug for Crohn's or UC only?

I ordered some a week or so ago but I have yet to take it. I'm currently on Prednisone and feeling about 90% in remission... well no real complaints but the other 10% are minor things I know I wouldn't experience if I didn't have Crohn's. Then again maybe this is my new normal so maybe I'm actually at 100%... *shrug*. I have some on hand to try but I have no way to tell if it's working right now since I'm already feeling good so I'll wait for now.

David

Co-Founder
Iv'e been on a Chinese herb that was used in a hospital in Bejing for crohns and colitis. The Chinese make it into a tea from the plant leaf and it is now extracted into a capsule form. I wonder if thats it?
I emailed that company and asked them what they ingredients of CC herb were and they responded with: Bai Wei, Daqingyue, Huang Qin, Jiu Zhi Huang Lian, Mu Xiang. Googling for each doesn't make me think any of those are the herb in question.

Yes, the author should have read the warnings for Remicade and Humira. Acne.... Puffy Face (I know.... Pred). Come on.... What about Cancer!

Update:

I consider myself to currently be in remission after a 15 month long flare. I feel FANTASTIC. The only issue I have at present is some lingering costochondritis which is slowly getting better.

Is this supplement the reason? I have no idea. But it sure didn't hurt! All I'm taking is the supplement above, d-hist and salmon oil. I'm also eating extremely healthy (no processed foods, ALL organic) and getting plenty of exercise.

Please note I have a different form of IBD than most of you (Lymphocytic Colitis).

Did you take the herbal supplement?

I found the results of a randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled trial with this drug if anyone is interested. It looks like a promising alternative, but unfortunately not a sure thing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3033535/#__sec14

The investigators reported a nonsignificant trend toward benefit with HMPL-004 versus placebo for the primary endpoint, defined as a CDAI reduction of 100 points at Week 8, with clinical response rates of 37.3% for HMPL-004 and 22% for placebo (P=.087). The proportion of patients who achieved a CDAI reduction of 70 points was 49% in the HMPL-004 group and 32% in the placebo group (P=.061). Remission rates, defined as a CDAI less than 150 points, were 29.4% and 14%, respectively (P=.069).