• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New found hope

Hi to all, I have just returned home from two days in hospital being feed laxative after laxative to no prevail, after my partner did some research online of her own she found your forum with post after post of people describing the same symptoms I am showing, now here is were it gets complicated I am a brittle type 1 diabetic and have agoraphobia, five almost six months ago I was assaulted resulting with a broken rib, fractured skull and fractured right collar bone. Symptoms started soon after the assault first constipation, toilet time reduced to once or twice a week

I'm sorry to hear you've had such a hard time. Is constipation your only digestive symptom? Do you suspect you may have Crohn's? Did the doctors suggest a cause of your constipation?

sorry my tablets battery died, I shall continue......
SO toilet time reduced to once or twice a week up until four week ago this was all the symptoms I noticed, I put it to poor managed type 1 and agoraphobia medication (diazapan).

so I am sitting on the toilet doing my usual, playing age of empires on my phone while sitting on the toilet waiting for something to happen when my mouth goes from dry to dripping like a leaky tap and two seconds later while phone in hand and sitting on the dunny I throw up a litre and a half of fluids and almost everything I had eaten over the last two days I was stunned and disgusted all at once, what just happened put it down to maybe I just couldn't get anything more in before empting my bowls.

so I continue my daily life but increase the prune juice, dried fruit and Metamucil intake, no effect still once or twice a week throwing up at same time continues (I keep a bucket handy) two weeks passed.

I feel consistently bloated, gassy, my feet knee's, back and neck ache non stop, I get panic attacks at locations I am normally comfortable in more frequent and a lot more aggressive then before my tummy is growling like a hungry wolf but I have lost all appetite I force myself to eat, I have no energy, depressed, can't sleep my eyes hurt, the tv is too bright. two days ago I talk to my neighbour who is a RN at the local ED hospital I ask her to take me with her to work so I can emit myself into triage.

xray of my colon suggest sever constipation (from what I could understand) an L shape but leaning over 90 degrees seems to be blocking large intestine, they give me two oral laxatives and laxative powder drink and a suppository laxative, and hour later I go to the toilet sit down pass a small amount of poo and once again throw up 600ml of breakfast and lunch. doctors blame poor managed diabetes and drug use for my constipation and say give him more...... 16 oral laxatives two enema's and three suppositories and a litre of colonlyte industrial engine flush I finally run for the toilet, about three cups of liquid shoot out of me and....... I throw up.

this is day two of my hospital ordeal being agoraphobic I am not comfortable in the social setting of a hospital to begin with I am told I could go home then after I organise family to rescue me and take me back to my farm in the country, I am told I am not being discharged, I panic and sign a waver to be released against doctors advice as he feels most of what I discharged was "over flow".

I am now at home happy to be home with all my animals and misses we eat dinner talk about the last two days and she starts researching my symptoms online, I feel bloated again my stomach is growling like crazy she says hey check this out symptoms of Crohn's disease I read thru the list of things associated with Crohn's I check off almost 2 thirds of the list with mild or exactly what symptoms I show, I start to worry what if I have this disease,what should be my next move do I go to my GP or back to swanies ED and try all over to explain what I am feeling.

Last edited:
if you were given antibiotics it may have started your gi issues, many new studies show antibiotics kill off beneficial bacteria and let the bad ones dominate. fecal transplants can restore good bacteria, there are even FDA studies testing it to treat diabetes. but remarkable results in IBD and c diff infection so far.

Now some foot notes,
as mentioned I use diazapan most commonly known as valium, I notice I am able to pass more poo then usual while I am medicated, also sitting In certain positions on the toilet to relax my mid region, raising my knee's and sitting upright also helps.

Hot showers or baths I feel almost normal until I exit, if I lean to the left I feel uncomfortable, the right and my discomfort drops a little in the scale of one to ten, five being my normal now, 9 being i am about to visit the toilet. before i found this forum explaining some of the symptoms i am feeling the only way i could describe my discomfort was that i was unable to digest my food as my toilet habit was sometimes solid, sometimes liquid, sometimes nothing for a week then 10 times in a day.

if you were given antibiotics it may have started your gi issues, many new studies show antibiotics kill off beneficial bacteria and let the bad ones dominate. fecal transplants can restore good bacteria, there are even FDA studies testing it to treat diabetes. but remarkable results in IBD and c diff infection so far.
i was on anitbotics at the time of my assault and for several prior as i had the flu and got bronchitis as a asthma suffer and heavy smoker this is the trend i always got one after the other.

i was on anitbotics at the time of my assault and for several prior as i had the flu and got bronchitis as a asthma suffer and heavy smoker this is the trend i always got one after the other.
I took augmentin for bronchitis and my entire health severely declined 3 weeks after. i was diagnosed with crohn's about a year later. first symptoms was fatigue, hair loss, anxiety. then swelling in abdomen then diarhea. at first I didnt suspect antibiotics i knew nothing of the existing science now many studies show a relations between antibiotics and IBD and other health issues.

some info http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3736797/

Last edited:
I have booked my GP for this afternoon with the hope I can get him to write a referral to get scoped, then back to the hospital I guess for the actual procedure. it seems like a lot of people have trouble getting diagnosed with this disease, I hope this is not going to be the case with me, or at least rule it out and find the actual cause of my inflections. I shall keep this page updated.

I took augmentin for bronchitis and my entire health severely declined 3 weeks after. i was diagnosed with crohn's about a year later. first symptoms was fatigue, hair loss, anxiety. then swelling in abdomen then diarhea. at first I didnt suspect antibiotics i knew nothing of the existing science now many studies show a relations between antibiotics and IBD and other health issues.

some info http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3736797/
I was prescribed moxicilin and budesonide and eformoterol in the form of a symbicort turbhal inhaler