• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New girl! Lots of questions ahead!

Well, I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 1999 after many ER visits in college for pain and blood in the toilet. Asacol was prescribed. I used that on and off with flares for the next 10 years. I moved a lot, so I had a lot of colonoscopies. None showed anything for years. I moved back "home" in 2011 and within the year started feeling a flare. I had a sphincterotomy to relax my rectal muscles. No use. I ended up on Humira for about 3 years, low residue/soft food diet, and had a botox injection to the rectum. Still had pain. Another (like, the 14th) colonoscopy showed diseased bowel still existed. So, I was scheduled for a resection and an ileostomy, on my request. Less than a year later I still have some pain so I was switched from Humira to remicade infusions, Cipro for 3 months (nauseating), and didn't know I was to continue the Methotrexate. So, now the Methotrexate will be restarted, I still do infusions, and my chronic neck pain, migraines, vertigo, and nausea are getting the best of me. Ruling out MS with and MRI. Whew.

cmack

Staff member
rockinRT,

You have had a rough ride in life. I'm very sorry to hear you had to go through such awful things. Some of it sounds all too familiar to me.

I myself have had a lot of surgeries(14) for all sorts of various rear end issues and it was terrible. Feel free to pm me any time. I would like to offer you whatever support I can. I think we might have some things in common.

Wishing you well and may better days be on the horizon,

cmack

rockinRT,

You have had a rough ride in life. I'm very sorry to hear you had to go through such awful things. Some of it sounds all too familiar to me.

I myself have had a lot of surgeries(14) for all sorts of various rear end issues and it was terrible. Feel free to pm me any time. I would like to offer you whatever support I can. I think we might have some things in common.

Wishing you well and may better days be on the horizon,

cmack
Sounds like the ringer got to you also! How many surgeries have you been through and what is the one thing you use/do for ease? I still have the ileostomy so my bum isn't as much a problem. I am lactose intolerant also so smoothies are difficult. I'm just a frustrated gal! Thank you for offering an ear, and I offer mine.

Sounds like the ringer got to you also! How many surgeries have you been through and what is the one thing you use/do for ease? I still have the ileostomy so my bum isn't as much a problem. I am lactose intolerant also so smoothies are difficult. I'm just a frustrated gal! Thank you for offering an ear, and I offer mine.
Have you tried smoothies with almond milk?

cmack

Staff member
Good morning(at least here it is)rockinRT,

I use organic Almond milk or organic soy milk with my smoothies. I also use either one on Kasha brand organic cereals. Strawberry fields is very tasty. As for coping I come here a lot and try to keep busy with small projects and exercise. First off today is go out and haul some wood, -17c here today.:ybatty:

wishing you well,

cmack

Last edited:
When I was on Remicade I got medically induced Lupus. Very uncommon but that me. Had to go off which was a shame because it was working like a charm for my Crohns. So many of our meds cause headaches or migraines. I'm on Sumatriptan for that which works pretty good. They ruled out MS with me which was good. So many of the MS symptoms are the same as Crohn's Disease. I believe getting the inflammatory markers under control is the trick. I'm currently on smoothies to rest my colon as I'm in a bad flare and they are threatening surgery. There are so many smoothie recipes it is good to try that for awhile if you can, good luck and hugs.

cmack

Staff member
Hi GI Jane,

Hang in there, I sure hope things settle down for you. I hear you about the headaches.I have had what are called cluster headaches. Fortunately I haven't had one in about a year, touch wood! What terrible pain! I sure hope you don't get any more headaches either.

Wishing you health and happiness,

cmack