• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Guy

Hi Everyone,
I was recently diagnosed with Crohn's Disease after a biopsy found inflammation and ulcer(s?) in my ileum during a preventative colonoscopy. I was not having any symptoms associated with Crohn's before the disease was found. I have been put on 3g daily of Mesalalamine and told to return in 2 months for a check up. I've been on the Mesalalamine for almost a week and have not had any issues other than some minor headaches and some cramping(drugs or crohn's?).
I exercise regularly, cook my own healthy meals, and keep eating out to a minimum. I'm anxious about what to do about my diet because no food has bothered me up to this point but I am extremely paranoid about getting a flare up. I'm also depressed because from what I've read flare ups are inevitable.
I'm pretty frustrated that there are no reliable markers to track the progress and have read that physical symptoms are not reliable. Does anyone have any experience with tracking any of the following?

(CRP)C-reactive protein
(ESP)Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate
Cytotoxicity of lymphocytes,
Leukocytes
Albumin
F-calprotectin

After spending the last few weeks learning about CD I'm both terrified and depressed about my future quality of life and likely surgery in the future. Another question I wondered about is what defines a flare up? From reading peoples stories it sounds like serious pain shortly after eating and constant diarrhea. Is there an average length that people experience flare ups?

Honey

Staff member
Hi there and welcome, I actually had Crohns for years before it was diagnosed 3 years ago, after it all came to a head. Pain and diahr...were the order of the day for some time: that is a flare up. After trial of several meds, I eventually got well on Remicade infusions. I am off that and taking Prednisolone and doing well. Do not worry. We are all individuals in our symptoms and how we respond to meds. A good Doctor whom you can express your concerns to and ask questions is the support you need! You can have a good quality of life. I have many interests I follow, in between resting when I need to. Crohns makes you tired. I hope all goes well for you. Let me know how you are doing
.:rosette1::panda-wave-t::rosette1:

Hi Honey,
Thanks for the reply. I am happy to hear you are doing well and am happy to have found this forum!

Honey

Staff member
Hi there, Be informed, I am. Remember what I said though, we are all individuals. I am currently well but I have been having investigations over the last few weeks as my Calprotectin results were sky high. I am concerned about that but make the most of my good times ! Let me know how you are doing? Best wishes.

Welcome to the forum. :ghug:
You're actually very fortunate to find out now while you're reasonably healthy. Many people are diagnosed after years of suffering. This is all new to you, most people go through the five stages of grief: denial, anger, fear, grief, acceptance. Here's a link to read about it http://fibrofighter.tripod.com/17stages.htm
I mostly experienced denial and grief. I still get depressed sometimes. There are a lot of things you can do to try to stay as healthy as possible. Quit smoking, alcohol, caffeine, if they seem to bother you at all. I can't digest any raw veggies, for example. I haven't had any surgery yet after five years, you may not either. It's very unpredictable. Take care.