• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here and to Crohns!

Hello there!

New to the forum but a bit about me- I am 27 nearly 28 living in Staffordshire in the UK. After being told I had IBS for just over 2 years by my GP I was officially diagnosed with crohns of the terminal ileum on New Years Day 2013.

This was after numerous blood and stool tests, a colonoscopy and a capsule endoscopy. Prescribed budesonide for this initial diagnosis, then my father passed away in very traumatic circumstances in April causing further flare ups and stomach ulcers from stress. Prescribed prednisolone and omeprazole and since coming off this I have had no contact from my consultant, I am under Stafford Hospital and for UK users this will make sense!

Currently not on steroids, just the omeprazole. I have had 2 crohns related admissions to hospital this year due to steroid side effects breaking my bowels down. As I said, on no medication at present.

However recently been having pain and discomfort on my left hand abdominal side, major bloating, crazy BMs and recently bloody mucus when having a BM. Just that general feeling of lethargy as well. Think it's time to harass the gastro consultant?

I work full time for a living as a police officer responding to emergency calls and it really isn't easy these days!

Hopefully will enjoy using the forum and find some like minded people as many really do not understand.

Thank you for anybody who takes the time to read this :)

Emma xxx

Yes it sounds like you need to get on to Dr and come up with a long term treatment plan.

I think no matter what country you live in you have to be your own number 1 health provider.

You are the one having to deal with things day in and day out, so don't be afraid to speak up and get help when you need it.

All the best and I hope you can find treatment that works for you so you feel better.

Hi Emma, sorry to hear you've come under Stafford! For most people that would be a real bummer but with Crohns that's really not good. The symptoms you've described indicate a flare and it is likely you will need something to help you get that under control!

I would harass your GI or IBD nurse if you have one and get treated, passing blood and mucus is not normal and you shouldn't have to tolerate it. If your unhappy at Stafford is there another hospital nearby you could get treated at?

I was nearly killed by the Alexandra hospital, I had all my care moved to the Queen Elizabeth and I couldn't be happier with it now.

I hope you pull through and get a plan together soon!

Hi Emma,

Sounds like you definitely need to be seen! I let my symptoms go (painful aches in my belly, bloating, gas, etc) go for nearly 3 years, just thinking it was part of my daily life and wound up with a pretty severe stricture that I just had to have surgery on to get removed. Don't be like me, take care of yourself! Believe me, I know how hard that is, especially for people like you who are used to serving and protecting others. Your health is more important! Good luck!

Hi Emma, sorry to hear you've come under Stafford! For most people that would be a real bummer but with Crohns that's really not good. The symptoms you've described indicate a flare and it is likely you will need something to help you get that under control!

I would harass your GI or IBD nurse if you have one and get treated, passing blood and mucus is not normal and you shouldn't have to tolerate it. If your unhappy at Stafford is there another hospital nearby you could get treated at?

I was nearly killed by the Alexandra hospital, I had all my care moved to the Queen Elizabeth and I couldn't be happier with it now.

I hope you pull through and get a plan together soon!
During my last flare, my wife had me transferred tron Georgetown Hospital to Fairfax. Georgetown was understaffed and didn't really have enough nurses to help all the patients.