• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Here - but not to Crohn's

I was diagnosed in December of 2000 after being referred to a surgeon by my gastro (I was 87 lbs). Upon seeing me, the surgeon - who was the first dr. who didn't look at me like I was imagining things - had me scheduled for surgery two days later. I had a one foot resection of small bowel and my appendix removed. I have had plenty of ups and downs of flares but thankfully have been able to avoid any other surgeries thus far. However, I am currently dealing with a couple strictures that are giving me problems and have been put on 40mg of Prednisone :thumbdown: along with my Imuran. I am currently awaiting the excitement (note sarcasm) of my first dose of Humira when it arrives. Why does it have to be needles!? :ywow: I suppose I'll be jumping over to the Humira posts to see what I'm in store for...

Nice to meet you all! :)

I hope Humira works great for you. I'm currently on it and I love it. And I was the same as you when I started, didn't like the whole needle idea at all. But honestly it's not that bad, you don't see the needle at all (Unless you look in it) and it really doesn't hurt that much. Just a little sting for a bit but if it works it's totally worth it.

Angrybird

Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

I take it the strictures are down to inflammation not scar tissue? With regards to the Humira I think with this med it comes in a pen and you press the top which may help a little with the needle side of things, definetly pop over to our Humira sub forum to have a chat with folks who are on this and they can give some info on what to expect. Also out of interest since your op have the docs done any checks on your vitamin levels?

Wishing you all the best.

AB
xx

EthanPSU: Thanks for the heads up. I was assuming I'd get used to the needles - I'll be using the pens so not so scary. But then I read how some people say it hurts like crazy AND I was unaware of the initial 4 shot dose....Glad Humira is working for you. I'm hoping for the same results :thumright:

Angrybird: Yes it seems inflammation is the culprit. Although even on the Prednisone (40mg) my system is moving things very slowly which concerns me as the last time I took Prednisone it took care of the inflammation more quickly. I have a follow-up appointment on Monday and was hoping I could start tapering off the dose. I have to keep going on a liquid diet because I'm not going to the bathroom...grrrrr. I get regular blood work done that includes checking iron and vit. B levels but I think that's it. I do take a heavy duty multi-vitamin, actifolate and vitamin D3 on my own. Dr. has never really mentioned vitamins - go figure.