• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here from GA

Welcome everyone my name is Dustin and I'm 21 years old.

After a trip to the emergency room last October from instense pain and multiple doctors visits later I've been diagnosed with mild Crohn's disease. I'm honestly grateful that it's only mild Crohn's and that it's not cancerous.

My doctor right after the colonoscopy mentioned the possibility of it being benign or actual lymphoma which I wasn't to keen on hearing so that left me with a bad thought for a couple weeks waiting on results..

Some short back history is I used to be a bit of a hypochondriac and it sometimes pops up and in the case of the dr's worst case it had me going. Haha

Plus my grandfather on my mothers side had colon cancer and my mother had a rare breast cancer so I don't want any of that. On a positive side note regular colonoscopies are probably for the best anyway.

What I find pretty annoying are the every accumulating Dr's bills and the stupid people I have to deal with regarding medical stuff. I swear it's made age a couple years dealing with all of this billing crap. lol

I also miss eating extremely spicy foods and Dominoes..

All in all though I'm not terribly bothered by having Crohn's because I've faced worse in my life and don't want to let it bother my since I'm still pretty young. I was kinda reluctant to join forum for this maybe because it made it more real but after reading a few posts it seems like a pretty cool forum with plenty of useful information.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello, welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry you've been diagnosed, but I'm glad you found us, I know joining a forum like this can be daunting and I understand that it feels daunting as it means admitting you have an illness, but I think you've done the right thing. We are all in the same boat here, we have all felt what it's like to be diagnosed with a chronic illness and we all live with it on a day to day basis.

I was diagnosed with Crohns when I was 19 after almost 5 years of fighting with doctors, so I can particularly understand the feeling of being diagnosed so young. I joined the forum soon after my diagnosis and I can honestly say that everyone here was super supportive and helpful, and really helped me to feel like I wasn't alone and that there is definitely life after diagnosis. I won't pretend everything is going to be easy but we all find our own way to deal with the day to day battles and you are definitely not alone.

As I said, we are all in the same boat, so there is no need to feel embarrassed if you have any questions, we aren't doctors but we will always be here to lend an ear and we will always try to point you in the right direction when we can. There is no such thing as a silly question, if you're thinking it then the likelihood is that someone else is too and they will be grateful you had the courage to ask us. No question is to small and at the very least we will be a shoulder to lean on.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello, welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry you've been diagnosed, but I'm glad you found us, I know joining a forum like this can be daunting and I understand that it feels scary as it means admitting you have an illness, but I think you've done the right thing. We are all in the same boat here, we have all felt what it's like to be diagnosed with a chronic illness and we all live with it on a day to day basis.

I was diagnosed with Crohns when I was 19 after almost 5 years of fighting with doctors, so I can particularly understand the feeling of being diagnosed so young. I joined the forum soon after my diagnosis and I can honestly say that everyone here was super supportive and helpful, and really helped me to feel like I wasn't alone and that there is definitely life after diagnosis. I won't pretend everything is going to be easy but we all find our own way to deal with the day to day battles and you are definitely not alone.

As I said, we are all in the same boat, so there is no need to feel embarrassed if you have any questions, we aren't doctors but we will always be here to lend an ear and we will always try to point you in the right direction when we can. There is no such thing as a silly question, if you're thinking it then the likelihood is that someone else is too and they will be grateful you had the courage to ask us. No question is to small and at the very least we will be a shoulder to lean on.

Welcome to the forum! I too was scared I was going to be told I had cancer when I was being tested! I HATE going to the dr it totally stresses me out. I hope you find the forum helpful. It is a great source of information, advice and support.

I really appreciate all the responses, Thank you! I really thought I had responded but maybe I typed it up and never sent it.. I've found that with my new Crohn's experiences I'm still more stressed by normal life problems. Haha

I'm definitely going to pop in here from time to time and hopefully get to know everyone a bit better.

I wish you all the best.