• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here, New diagnosis, Where Do I Start?

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this site after being ill for nearly 4 months now.

I was told I had an ulcer and "colitis" when I was about 15 years old by my family doctor. This was back in the early 1970s.

Over the years I had bouts of severe diarrhea, sometimes with bleeding, sometimes with pus or mucus. However, it usually only made me ill for short periods of time, and I coped with it.

In 2008 I was diagnosed with Chronic Lyme Disease, and the treatment was nearly 2 years of various antibiotics in various combinations. Thankfully, it helped immensely.

In March of this year I started getting very sick --- I did not want to eat, I had bad diarrhea, abdominal pain, and could barely keep anything down. I also was having joint pain. My doctor put me back on antibiotics, thinking the Lyme was acting up again. Within a week I ended up in the ER dehydrated, nauseous, and my abdomen extremely distended though not painful (the nurse asked me if I was pregnant! I am 55 years old!).

They gave me IV fluids, immodium, Levsin, and maalox. My labs were all good except my urine, which showed dehydration and ketones from not eating. The ER doc said he believed I had Crohn's and sent me for CT scan and ultrasound.

Long story short, I had colonoscopy. This doc told me that I probably had Crohn's all along, but the years of antibiotics made it far worse.

I have been placed on prednisone, highest dose 40 mg, now I am tapered down to 10. I still have Levsin, and 1/2 vicodin when absolutely needed for pain.

My abdomen is still hugely distended at times (oh, the joyous sounds of the intestinal rumbling!), I get stabbing pains in my right side, and more constipation now than anything else. Even my right side of my back at the ribs gets painful.

I do not have one specific doctor that I see --- I do not have health insurance, and I rely on the charity care coverage and clinic at my hospital. They are ok docs, but each time I have to go over my case from the start. Some of them give me conflicting advice, some of them offer very little other than "watch what you eat" and "don't chew gum or drink carbonated beverages".

So, I have come here. I believe you all know what this illness is all about, living with it, and I hope for some guidance and support along the way. I would be grateful, because this is the sickest I've ever been in my whole life! And it is frustrating!

Where do I even start in dealing with this?

Thank you for reading this!

Mari

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello welcome to the forum. Im glad you found us :).

Some people with crohns disease find that certain foods will upset their bowels and make their symptoms worse. If you think this might be the case, it could be helpful for you to keep a diary of what you're eating and how your symptoms are after, this will give you a good indication of what foods trigger your symptoms and need to be eliminated for a while.

Have you been advised about a plan for after the steroids? Its important to start another medication to try and achieve remission and sustain it. Here is a link for a support group on the forum for those without medical insurance, the members should be able to give you some advice on how to deal with it http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=49965 .

Heat can be very good for pain, either some heating pads or a hot water bottle, and long hot baths. Peppermint and ginger can be really helpful to settle bloating and nausea too. Stay away from NSAIDs like ibprophen as they can cause ulcers and encourage bleeding in the digestive tract.

Take things one step at a time, ask as many questions as you can and research. Use reliable sites to look up crohns and its treatments, so that you can get a better understanding, www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk is a good one. If theres anything that confuses you or worries you, someone here can always give you some advice and support.

Last edited:
Hi Nicola,

Thank you SO much for your reply! I really appreciate it and hope that you are doing well.

I have already started looking at what I eat; there are definitely many foods that now do not agree with me! I find I can tolerate things like chicken, turkey, some lean meat or fish, white potatoes, sometimes fruit, sometimes eggs. No dairy. I have not tried exclusively gluten-free but is worth a shot.

The doctors have not suggested anything beyond the prednisone yet. I am now tapered down to 10mg, and since I am feeling worse, one of them suggested - go back and up the dose again. I have been on it since June, and I am afraid to do this. I do know I cannot take biologics, like Humira.

Yes, the heating pad is my best friend! I will try the peppermint oil and ginger tea.

And thank you also for the links you posted, esp for uninsured patients! I have a long way to go with this, and any info I can get is appreciated!

Cheers,
Mari

valleysangel92

Staff member
Some people do find going gluten free helpful, others find that it makes no difference. I was already gluten free as I have coeliac/celiac disease which makes me intolerant to gluten.

Steroids usually aren't a long term treatment and are generally used to get the flare under control so that other medication can then be used to gain and maintain remission.
Sometimes if there isnt a maintenance med in place, there is a need to go back up the steroid dose to get the flare back under control while waiting for other medications. I understand that steroids can be scary and they have a lot of side effects, but the effects of not having any medication and the flare getting out of control could be far worse. Is there a specific reason you cant use biologics or are they just too expensive without insurance?

Im glad the links were helpful :)

valleysangel92

Staff member
I just corrected the link for the uninsured group so it goes directly to the group instead of the sub forum incase you had trouble finding it.