• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here - not to crohns

Hello,
My name is Chris and I got this stupid crohn's thing. I had "issues" as long as I can remember but hit the fan around 2001 (im a 37 male) . I think I have been through every drug treatment out there and basically have been functioning at 65% since the docs got involved (still better than where I was). I did remicde for 8 years or so and it was good, but started giving side efffects and not working as good.I think the best I felt was on Humira through 2008, but one day after a softball game I hit the floor with obstruction and that led up to the resection surgery in the beginning of 2009.
The surgery went ok, but the Humira caused my blood pressure to be crazy high, and even though it made me feel the best I have in a while - the crohn's kept on kicking. I now am waiting on the cimzia nurse to call me back to say when I can start it (it's in my fridge) and they are in no rush. I am a little weary of starting this, like I am most new drugs.
Im prone to anxiety attacks, being tired, and feel lazy. I have a.d.d and can't sit still so this is the most annoying thing to me. I am new to forums so please excuse if my sentence structure and punctuation is lacking ~ i'm reaching out :)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi cdaddy75 and welcome to the forum! :D

Sorry to hear you've had a rough road. I thought Humira was great too but unfortunately didn't work for me either (kept getting upper respiratory infections constantly, only took it for a few months). Right now I'm waiting to start Remicade to help keep me in remission and I'm told if that doesn't work then I'll likely be starting Cimzia just like you as I've also done the trial and error with many other meds in the past.

Check out the forum's wiki entry on Cimzia here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Cimzia You'll also see down near the bottom a lot of threads discussing it so feel free to check those out as well. :)

When were your vitamin levels tested last? Being low or deficient in any can cause a whole lot of problems including depression (which comes hand in hand with anxiety) and fatigue etc.

There seems to be a fair amount of people on the forum who have a panic disorder or deal with high amounts of anxiety. The forum also has a Mental Health Support section found here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77 Feel free to make a new thread there or check out some of the ones already there. :)

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, Chris!

I think Crabby has pretty much covered everything I was going to say, so I just wanted to say hello! :D

Are you taking or doing anything to treat the A.D.D. at the moment? That can also lead to depression and anxiety issues.

thank you guys!! my doctors have been a little disconnected and I feel not all test have been done. I actually went to a couple of other doctors and they were worse..so no I have not had any vitamin check, no a.d.d. meds..I actually have the cimzia in my fridge but cant get anyone to call me back to let me know if I can go ahead.
Remicade was a great maint. drug and only started not working after 8 years..only real downside for me on that is the 3 to 4 hours it takes for infusion (IV) cause I got things to do :). it made me tired the first day, but worked great after that (energy levels, inflammation, etc..) my issue was- it started to make me tired for longer and the good stuff didnt really kick in for a couple weeks after. Your body builds up an immunity to it.