• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here... question about fistulas and abscess

I'm new here and posting on behalf of my 14 year old son who has been dealing with a fistula and abscess for a year now. He delt with the problem by himself for about 5 months before I got him to go see a doctor, and then we still didn't find out for a few months later that he had a abscess. I initially thought he had hemorrhoid. It bothered him to sit and to walk.. I know not common for a young person but he has a lot of other problems related to his Opitz G/BBB syndrome that would not normally happen to someone his age so I thought why not... The GI looked at his rectum and said it was not hemorrhoids he just had irritated skin and had us do sitz baths and blow dry his bottom to help keep it dry. The GI sees my other son and I love him dearly, he simply wouldn't have saw this thing because of where it was since he was laying on his back during the exam and we thought the problem was in the more in the actual rectum area.

3 months later, still dealing with the irritation, my son FINALLY comes to me and shows me this bump on his buttocks right near the top and along the crack. I convince him to go to our primary doctor to get it looked at and we finally get somewhere and find out its an abscess. He has us see the local general surgeon. She cuts and drains the abscess in the OR and sees that he has a huge fistula in between the cheeks ....(sorry I don't know all these technical terms yet) Initially she says he will need another surgery and then decides after his followup that it is healing well and she thinks just heal on its own. Says to keep doing the frequent baths.

About 3 weeks later the original abscess spot swells up again and becomes very painful once more. It seems to be swelled up and oozing for about 5 or 6 days and then feels better for 5 or 6 days. I call to see the surgeon again saying I think this is infected again and they schedule us to come in a few days later and by this time it has gone down again.... and she says its not infected its healing up good. She does not give him antibiotics and wont refill his pain medication she gave him right after surgery. We have done this twice.

Surgery was in October and its now January. All this time he is doing the 5 or 6 days on and off thing. Its leaking discharge and some small amounts of blood, has foul smell, and is very painful. Yesterday he is in the shower and it starts bleeding very badly. I take him to the ER and 3 doctors look at it say he needs to get into the surgeon and have something done with this. I had thought it was blood coming out of the abscess, but it was out of the fistula.
They sent samples to the lab to test him for mrsa and some other things, and put him on bactrim for a week. They did set him up an appointment with the same surgeon he had the first procedure with.... But I'm not sure I want to see her. It really bothers me that she will not give him any pain meds. He is 14 and has had 11 surgeries in his life for his various other medical problems related to his Opitz, which is a whole other story.... Point is that he has been through more than most adults and is a really good kid who isn't faking that this is painful to get some Tylenol with codine. Taylor, my son, is a special education student and hasn't talked at all in 5 years so is really hard him to get through to us what/where/how things are bothering him.

Either way I think I am scheduling him with another surgeon at a different hospital, I'm just wondering what your experiences are. Is a general surgeon okay, or is it going to be best to go a little further to see a colorectal type surgeon?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. I will be spending the night reading as much of this page as I can to see what other things may help him feel a little better.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello, welcome to the forum

Im sorry to hear of what your son has been dealing with, personally I dont have any experience with fistulas or abscesses, but I wanted to welcome you, and bump your post up a little so it gets seen by the right people :).

Also, you might find it useful to take a look at the section for fistulas, fissures and absecess which is located here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

Additionally, if you havent already done so, you may like to introduce yourself in the parents forum, they are a very friendly bunch and will be delighted to help with anything they can, here it is: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Oh my gosh I read through all of this and I am so sorry to hear your son is so young and suffering with such painful problems. I really hope he can find some healing rest soon!

I know this because I have had an abscess and fistula. It is actually what led to my Colon surgeon get me tested for IBD, he was concerned that I had an abscess and fistula at the age of 22.

When they first operated on my abscess it was a general surgeon. Did they tell you to pack it with gauze, or was their a drain inserted with your son? When I had my abscess drained, I had to rinse and put new gauze gently in the wound to prevent it from closing up to quickly before the inside heals. If the outside skin closes before the inside heals, you are back at square one and another abscess can form... this is not fun to do by any means, it is painful but it does slowly get better over weeks.

However after the abscess surgery I saw a colon/rectal surgeon. I think it is odd they would say the fistula could heal on it's own - especially as large as you say it was. I had a VERY tiny fistula and my colon doctor waited only a little before deciding it would not go away. They treated my fistula with a fibrin glue injection, instead of cutting, because mine was near my sphincter. He wanted to preserve the condition of that area as much as possible, considering I am female and may go through childbirth.

I really hope you find some relief. I would recomend seeing a colon/rectal surgeon. They generally are more concerned and know how well these things will heal, if it needs urgent treatment or not. Mine was wonderful and very attentive, so make sure you find one that is not such an ass (no pun intended) because a lot of them are.

If the fistula is still there, another abscess can form! Basically, I would see a colon/rectal surgeon.

Keep us updated!

EDIT: Also, as for pain medication, my colon surgeon always asked at every follow up visit post fistula surgery if I needed anything. I was actually ok after the first week so I never asked for more pain meds. The first week was awful (felt like I had a porcupine in my rectum) and the first 2 days I was bed ridden on Percocet. However I really tried to only use that for sleeping at night, because it makes you REALLY dizzy and kind of nauseous... otherwise after the first week I was ok!

Last edited:
Hi, my son has delay with an abscess and fistula over the last couple years. It is really important to feel happy with the surgeon, I would definitely recommend a colorectal surgeon. After abscess surgery our surgeon recommended silver dressings which helped the healing. My son has just had surgery to try close his fistula - not sure if it worked yet. There are a number of ways to deal with fistulas, there should be something they can do to at least ease his pain. Goidelic luck

I would not recommend going to a general surgeon again. I did this before I was diagnosed and had similar problems as your son, and it turned out to be quite a disaster. I now see a Colorectal Surgeon whenever I have any problem "down under". Colorectal Surgeons are different than general surgeons because they literally know everything that could possibly happen to your bum, and how to fix it. Your GI should be able to refer you to a Colorectal Surgeon, or at least know of a good one that you could see. Good luck and please keep us updated. Sending hugs and prayers your way.

Thanks everyone! He did end up having surgery again on Monday and is doing pretty good. Our GI suggested a pediatric surgeon at the Children's Hospital nearby that was able to get him in quickly so thats what we did. They actually cut out the abscess bump that kept swelling up from infection this time as well as cutting away some ot the other tissue and then granulated the tissue to help it heal. Repacking it 3x a day and its looking pretty good so fingers crossed that it is going to heal this time! AND... this doctor gave the poor kiddo some pain meds as well without me needing to ask.

Sascot... Silver dressings? I'm going to have to check on that. Thanks!