• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here- Upper GI pain and pressure after colonoscopy today

Hello,

I am new around here and should probably do a introduction at some point.

After 20+ years of abdominal issues, I finally made it through a colonoscopy procedure today (I had backed out of previous one 10+ years ago).

My GI was ruling out UC (my mom has it), but on physical exam he was suspecting Crohn's due to the pain and gas being above my navel and some other health issues. Last week i noticed after some bad food choices I started having pain and pressure higher up extending under my ribcage. It has kind of stayed throughout the week and after my procedure it is worse. Unfortunately results came back as no UC, and no Crohn's in lower part of small intestine but he wants to do a CT scan enterography (with contrast I suspect since I need bloodwork) to look higher up. I honestly wish he would have just done the CT scan first as I now feel the colonoscopy was a big waste of $.

I called the doc's office and they just suggested ibuprofen or the ER if it worsens. Sometimes it is hard to get a full breath the pressure is so intense. I feel like a ton of air is trapped and I am super bloated. I did pass a little gas post-procedure but not my usual daily gassy production.

Is this typical of anyone else with these issues? The pain really high up and pressure under the bottom ribs?

Lady Organic

Staff member
HI, yes it could be normal to feel bloated for hours after a colonoscopy. the camera moves around the intestine pushed by air and sometimes the GI cant remove all the air when retracting the camera at the end of the procedure. This air shall pass naturally outside soon. good luck.

on a side note, colonoscopy with biopsy is the best tool for diagnosis of IBD in the colon. I think in your case with your family history, it was completely worth it to perform it.

During a colonoscopy they put in a little air to expand the intestines, to see between the folds.
Sometimes the Drs don't get all the air out. This happened to me one time and it was horrible. My pain moved uo to my right shoulder. It took about 48 hours to go away.

Lauren

Thank you both for the reassurance. The pain did get a little better and I was allowed to take some ibuprofen.

Today I am still cramping and bloated but the pressure isn't so bad. I just feel really sore, like I did 500 situps. Hopefully the swelling subsides soon. I remember it took 2 months to get rid of bloating after an exploratory laparoscopy.

Colonoscopy can definitely mess your gut up. All that stuff you have to drink that clears you out can play a number on your gut flora and cause an imbalance. That alone can cause GI distress. They do also pump air in you during the procedure so that can cause some discomfort as well. If you can, maybe start some probiotics to help bring your Flora back. Hope you feel better soon.

QUOTE=loansforlife;934096]Thank you both for the reassurance. The pain did get a little better and I was allowed to take some ibuprofen.

Today I am still cramping and bloated but the pressure isn't so bad. I just feel really sore, like I did 500 situps. Hopefully the swelling subsides soon. I remember it took 2 months to get rid of bloating after an exploratory laparoscopy.[/QUOTE]