• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here

Artisan105

Yondaime
Hello I am new to this forum but not to this disease (Crohn's). I was diagnosed in 1993 when I was a little child. I ate at Jack-in-the-Box, stayed in the Seattle Children's Hospital for 4 months. Later developed Crohn's from the e.coli infection. From then on, I had 3 surgeries- one complication with a fistula which made me wear a colostomy bag for a year, medication list: Imuran(Found out I was allergic to it made me stop breathing), 6-mp (needle injections once a week to my thigh), remicade, pentasa, asacol, prednisone, pain meds- from vicodin to dillaudid... etc. Somehow finished college. Worked in a financial accounting firm for about 3-4 years then I got sick again. I went through another 3 surgeries due to internal bleeding- (ICU- in a coma for 3 days), TPN- food tube for 6 months, pain pump at home, lots of steroids (makes you chubby), depressed, and lost everything- my job, my house, my car, my fiance.

However now I am finally better. I only take Asacol 2 pills a day. Remicade infusion once every two months. I just watch what I eat. I never eat fast food. I never eat take out food. I only eat wholesome foods. The vitamins I take are: Nature Made- Full Strength Liquid Mini's (Liquid vitamins are more easily absorbed than say a hard Centrum), Flaxseed Oil with Omega 3 (Liquid capsules), Nature's Bounty- Soft Iron (Hard Iron Pills hurt). I work out everyday (Basketball or Insanity Workout) all of this helps food to travel down the intestines. But I still have pain once in a while so I take either extra strength tylenol or have some 5mg Oxycodone just in case. I try my best to be honest with myself and not take them if I don't need them. For me the addiction to the pain meds was bad and extremely difficult to get off of because I have been taking them since 1993! The detox was horrible but well worth it. I just decided I was sick of it and wrote down all the food that made me sick, thus avoided them.

I noticed it takes a lot of self determination to get off of this while acknowledging you will have good and bad days. Some mornings it takes me over an hour to get up because I am hurting. But most days I try to mentally force myself to get up. You guys know we have this invisible weight on our backs that make us want to lay down or be lazy. Maybe not all but some of you know what I am talking about.

Oh a key thing that worked for me was DON'T STRESS! :] Avoid stressful situations. Things will get better, but you have to really put some effort in it as well. Don't rely on your medication so much. Food is the best medicine. Do research. Make a journal on what works and don't work. Talk to the members here. Talk to the doctors more clearly on your condition. Don't take more medication than recommended- especially your pain medicines! Be honest with yourself. Get help when you need help.

OK I will end it here. If you want some suggestions or help to get your life back together I can give you my info or what worked for me. Just try to stay positive. :] Remember Crohn's/ IBD doesn't own your life... You are the master of it.

God bless,

Steven

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, Steven!

I'm glad you're feeling well. It sounds like you went through a lot to get to this point!

Thank you far sharing your story and your advice. I agree with your thoughts on stress - I actually went into remission by removing myself from a stressful living situation. It can be hard to do, but stepping back and trying to calm yourself down really can make a big difference.

:hug: I hope to see you around the forum!

Artisan105

Yondaime
Thank you :] I want to help others because really only people with IBS or Crohn's really know what we are going through. I hate it when someone who is healthy tell me they understand what I am going through. lol I just tell them..."uh huh, yea." :]