• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Here

Hi I am Karri, my boyfriend is the one who currently carries the burden of Crohn's disease. We have been battling a flare up that has not completely subsided since July 2012. He was diagnosed in 2010 after nearly bleeding to death. (Stubborn Italian!) He spent ten days in the hospital waiting to find out what was wrong. Then the following three months at home recovering from the severe blood loss. He had been in remission for nearly two years, when this last flare up started. His gastro doctor added Humira to his medication regimen, and we have seen some results, but not the results we have been hoping for after being on the medication for seven months. This is our story in a shorter condensed version. We are looking for any insight anyone has to offer. We are at a loss of where to go from here, and his doctor does not seem to be very helpful. (I think it is time for a second opinion) Thank you for reading. Have a beautiful day.

Hi Chris&Karri,
My little farm Girl and I are from the pinkie area of Michigan (You have to be from the state to understand).

It sounds like you have both been through a lot. He's blessed to have you be such a caring advocate for him.
I know from stories hear and from my own daughter's experience that it can take some time to figure the right course of meds.
When you asked the GI what's the next course what did he/she say?

Where is his Crohn's located?

What other meds has he done?

I have not been able to go to his last few DR. appointments, so I am unsure of what the doctor said was the next step. I have no idea where is Crohn's is located, nor do I think Chris knows. He is on Humira and azathioprine (Which his doctor prescribed when he was diagnosed.) Tramadol as need for pain, One A Days for Men, Vitamin C, and Iron supplements. We are just at a loss of what to do. I am trying to see if changing his diet will help.

It's all right. It will get easier. HUGS

One thing I learn with my daughter is......
1-Get all lab results
2-Have his vitamin levels checked. People with IBD can be VERY low in vitamins because their track is not absorbing enough because of the inflammation.
3-Learn, Learn, Learn. Do what your doing now. We have many different forums here. Go to the treatment section, go to the diet section. We even have a section for YOU as his support system. LEARN
4-Ask all and any questions. Their no stupid questions. Their's no embracing question.

Hang in there.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

What specific symptoms does Chris still get? When did he last see his doc about the problems he is still getting? Is the Humira and Azathioprine the only meds that have been tried so far and when was the last time testing was done to have a look at what is going on inside? It is definitely worth going to see another GI if you are finding that the current one is not being very helpful or forthcoming, it is important that you get along with your doc with an illness like this.

AB
xx

He still has stomach cramping and very loose stools. Yes those are the only medications they have tried. He went to his Doctor last month. They do blood work before every appointment, but he has not had a colonoscopy since he was diagnosed in 2010. We are going to try the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, to see if he gets any results from it. Thank you.

I have started doing so much research lately, because we are expecting our first child in July and he wants to be able to play and take care of her without the worry of having to rush to the bathroom.

Angrybird

Congratulations on the baby! :)

It is worth seeing if the blood results show if there is inflammation going on and perhaps some other up to date testing to check on things inside. I will keep fingers crossed that the SCD diet will help though.