• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here

My name is Jane and I have Crohns. I was Diagnosed October 24th 2013 after I went to the Gastro Doctor with stomache pain, diarrhea , blood, bloating, etc. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy. I have,two deep Ulcerations and spots in my small intestines. I have burning pain on the top of my stomache and on my right side. My Doctor wants me on Humira and Seems that is the only thing I can take. I can not afford it I am on Medicare part D and don't qualify for any co-pay assistance or any Medicare low income help. It would be 1,100.00 a month and 2,200 for,the 1st round. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis and have been on Remicade and Orenica with reaction to those and Embral that didn't work....I am on Methotrexate injections for my RA.
My question is there HAS to be other Medications to try besides Humira. I am on Entocort steroid now. I can't stay on this for a long period and I am REALLY scared!!!! Please any info would help this newbie....Thanks :) Jane

Thank you for the Welcome. I'm feeling scared the most right now and depressed that I have another autoimmune disease!
Yes I did try AbbVie and I don't qualify. I pretty much have given up on taking Humira. I have done just about everything I can think of to get on it....That's why I want to know of any other drugs that people are on.

PsychoJane

I would be guessing that you doctor wants to set you on Humira because it is beneficial for both crohn and RA. There are not many options that will treat both "properly".

There are medication different than the biologic agents(Humira, Cimzia, Remicade,...) that can treat crohn. Amongst them, you have the immunosuppressor (Azathioprine (IMURAN), Mercaptopurine (6-MP, purinethol). You also have the 5-ASA(5-aminosalicylic) like sulfasalazine.

You might have already tried Imuran for your RA, it is sometime advised but it's really not the most potent treatment for RA. As for sulfasalazine, you can have benefit for RA but it's not proven to be the best in crohn... That's why I believe you are more pointed towards Humira which is supposed have a great effect on both. If methotrexate works properly for your RA, maybe discuss alternative immunosuppressor with your doctor?

There are other options in the DMARD drugs but they are not a standard therapy in CD (I'm thinking of Cyclophosphamide and cyclosporine) and they are not to be taken lightly and carry important side effect risks and are not really management treatment either...

Some would also suggest LDN. You may want to look into this one, it's been beneficial for some even though it is tricky to get a physician to prescribe it.