• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Here

Hi all! I was diagnosed with UC 18 years ago and the diagnosis changed to Crohn's 5 years ago when I have my colon removed. Over the years have had many flares, problems with a recurring fistula, abscesses, pain, diarrhea, bleeding, etc. I was lucky when I had my surgery that the surgeon was able to reattach things at that time so I don't have a colostomy but I have to take large doses of lopermide daily to try to go without having to run to the bathroom often. I am currently enduring a flare up which has been going on since January and the doctor I am seeing currently has not been able to find a medicine that helps. In fact everything I have tried so far has made it worse. I know that prednisone would probably help but I am not willing to try it as in the past I have become prednisone dependent (at high doses) and find it very difficult to get off it. The side effects from it are terrible and I hate myself when I am on it. I am looking for alternative ideas and just recently heard that medical marijuana is a possible therapy. As much as I don't like the idea (it is not legal in my state) I am at the point where I just want to feel better! I am very glad to have found this forum!

dave13

Forum Monitor
Welcome to the Forum amiller

If you have questions about cannabis for crohn's treatment I suggest checking out the medicinal marijauna section of the Forum.There are some very knowledgeable crohnies who post there regularly and could help with questions you may have.

What is EN? Over the years I have figured out for the most part what my triggers are. It is frustrating though that some foods are okay one day but then cause problems another day.

Lady Organic

Staff member
they are liquid/powder nutritional diets aimed for impared digestive system, often used in IBD. They can help for nutrional intakes and have good chances of inducing remission in CD. If you go in the diet/treatment section of this forum you'll find lots of post about it. I've started a thread with the 2 latest reviews of Enteral nutrition published in scientific journals. GI's know well about them, but for some reasons, rarely propose them to adult patients. They choose for us prednisone as first treatment route ina flare without informing us of EN possibility to help us. I am mad that this approach has not been proposed to me and tried upon my diagnosis or in my first years with CD. Even in kids, its seems not so common. A GI in England professor John Hunter works with EN, a few patients here on the forum are under his care. He wrote a book, very interesting on the subject of EN fallowed by a elimination diet. really worth reading his book and trying it, as this is a non toxic approach, only require will power and motivation.