• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here

Hello! I'm new here and figured I'd share my story

I'm 29 years old and was diagnosed with Crohns in 2007, when I was 22. It all started with abdominal pain and bloody stool. I tried my best to ignore it thinking it would just go away. Finally, I gave in and went to see a GI. Had a colonoscopy, ran some tests, and sure enough Crohns it was. It hit me pretty badly to be honest. I felt great up until the original symptoms and always thought of myself as pretty healthy. Now I have to deal with this lifelong disease? How could this have happened? I thought it was the end of the world. I was wrong! The doctor put me on pentasa and entocort, and for 5 years I was relatively problem free. Then it really hit me. One night I had really bad abdominal pain and was rushed to the ER with my parents. Had a CT done and it showed a perforation in my intestines and was told that I had to have emergency surgery to cut that piece out. Once again I was devastated! I was feeling so good and then boom, Crohns showed it's ugly head again. After a 5 day stay in the hospital after the surgery, I got to go home on a strict diet. After 2 weeks of having only liquids, I started eating semi solid food again. My body did NOT like it, and I erupted in abdominal pain and went back to the hospital. Another CT done, this times it showed an abscess and that I had to have it drained. I had a tube stuck in me that led to a bag that drained it little by little. After a week of that, I was able to have the tube removed (not fun!) and went home shortly after. Same thing again...liquids then semi solids, then back to the ER with abdominal pain. Once again I had a CT that showed ANOTHER abscess! Had another tube stuck in me to drain it, put on antibiotics, and got to enjoy 3 weeks in the hospital eating(drinking) only liquids. For the next 4 months, I was in and out of the hospital a total of 6 times with recurring symptoms. I was originally put on Humira which didn't help, and eventually put on Remicade which has been a lifesaver! In the past 2 years on Remicade I've been pretty much problem free and have been able to live a normal life. I DO have to watch what I eat and have certainly learned over time what foods to stay away from. So now I get my infusions every 2 months, eat healthy, and live life :)

For everyone else out there struggling with these problems, stay positive. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

If anyone has any questions regarding Remicade or other supplements to help with IBD, feel free to ask

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear what you've been through, but so glad things are looking better for you now! It sounds like you'll be a great help to others here!