• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here

Not sure if this is where I should be writing my story. But here it is. 49 years old and newly diagnosed with Crohns. Im fairly uneducated at this point and yet to be on any medication except fladgyl and cipro which are killers as far as Im concerned and only take the edge off what's going on. I also use a suppository which does seem to have helped. At this point Im down to just consuming fluids with the exceptions of hard boiled eggs, bananas and plain baked fish. This seems to have helped with the pains and bloating but nothing can help my bottom area. I suspect now its at least one fistula and Im not excited about the remedies I have read online elsewhere. But the constant on and off fever I have been dealing with for 4 years would be great to get rid off. Other than that the biggest problem I have had in the past few years is a feeling of incomplete emptying of the bowels and the sensation that the bowel movement is to large for the colon. Even though they are soft and regular sized when released. Also the pain was excruciating. Before, during and after. I think the suppository's have helped that for now. Any suggestions are extremely welcome!

Welcome. Has your doctor examined you to see if it is a fistula? He may need to switch your medicine. Ask him. Let us know.

I haven't been able to see my doctor since the initial diagnosis as it was only a few weeks ago I found out. The GI sent the diagnosis of crohns to my GP so as of yet we don't know the full report. I wont be able to hear what he has to say until September 7th when he is back from holidays. So at this point Im just winging it and its a little crazy some days.

Welcome to the forum, but sorry you had to find us. If your bottom is sore, you could try sitz baths and barrier cream or even vasoline. Biologics sound scary, but for comparison you should read a Tylenol bottle. I just had my Remicade infusion today, and need to go for a nap. I've been fistula free for two years and I'm so grateful. Hang in there.

It sounds like you have some rectal inflammation. What are the suppositories you are using? I found limited help from 5-ASA supps (mesalamine-type) but I had an even better response from a 28 day course of steroid suppositories.

If you have external soreness you could try a zinc-based nappy cream like Sudacrem (or whatever the equivalent is over there).

nitty I think they are called sulfonate or something like that. I think they are more for inflammation inside but I have really noticed an improvement on that. Although that also may be because I am down to eating a handful of solid food items and mostly liquids. And of course that decreases the bowel movements which has had an improvement on the bottom pain. After reading others stories I suspect it now might be a fistula. Since in the past I have always had extra (non odorous) moisture in that area. I will do my best until I see the GI in September.

oh my "tuff" maybe it is. The spasms I get are the worst. There is definitely something there on the outside. Hopefully it can be repaired whatever it is. I think if I could remove that pain I would be almost....almost functionable. Even with the constant fever. Thank you everyone for the comments. One doesn't seem to feel quite so alone and scared (imagining the worst) with all of you out there also.