• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Humira Side Effect (for me)

Hi everyone!

Long post here - wondering if anyone has ever had a similar experience.

This week has been a weird and scary one for me. On Thursday, I noticed a few lumps between my legs and torso - swollen lymph nodes. Because they hurt, I called the 1-800 Humira number to check with the nurse. She basically told me that it was nothing. Okay. I can deal with that.

Then, but midnight, I had a fever of about 101 degrees. So, I called my brother, who is a P.A., for advise. He told me to call my doctor. I did, and got a call back from the on-call doctor who told me to get examined the next day from my GI.

When I woke up, the lumps were worse, and my ENTIRE left butt cheek was red. (Sorry if you are eating while reading.) I called the office and the Medical Assistant made me his first patient that day.

My GI told me that it is most likely a bacterial infection and prescribed me a heavy dose of 2 antibiotics. He told me that it is unlikely lymphoma or any of the other really scary outcomes because the symptoms were acute. But, he did give me his cell number so I could call him if things got worse or if I haven't improved by Sunday. I'm guessing that he did that because infection spreads fast with Humira??

Anyway, I'm bummed out. I had to miss work (I'm an orchestra musician). So, I'm catching up on movies and such.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar while on Humira?

Joey

nogutsnoglory

Does he think Humira caused this infection or that due to being immune suppressed he wants to target it aggressively? Either way, sounds awful. Feel better!

He doesn't think the Humira caused the infection. He thinks that being immune suppressed from Humira is accelerating the condition. The cause of the onset is still unknown - he asked about insect bites or scratches. But, my week had been pretty uneventful up to that point. Sigh. Thanks for the well wish. I'll update the forum as it progresses, just in case someone in the future has something similar.

For all interested: It ended up being lymphadenitis, and I get to skip my Humira shot this week. :yoshijumpjoy: