• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New is there natural treatments for colitis and crohns

are there natural treatments for crohns and colitis??? I would rather try natural remedies , And diets , never been big on medicines

but open to them if they work if natural fails

nogutsnoglory

Complementary medicine is often used but we can't call them treatments if you will because we really only can go based on scientific evidence of success. If you can avoid medications that's great but many need medicine to thrive.

What were you thinking of trying?

A lot of people with Crohn's find a lot of improvement with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. It is "natural" but also has sound science behind it. The book which explains it (though it isn't very well written and can be confusing) is "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottshall. If you're interested but not convinced, try this: Go to Amazon and find the book. Sort the reviews from "most helpful." Then read. After about the 30th page of "Saved my life" and "Godsend" and "Miracle" and "Amazing" you will want to give it a try! You would know within a month if it works for you. The author estimates that it works for about 75% of people with Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis.

It is similar to the Paleo diet which is currently very popular. That is great because there are a lot of Paleo recipes online which can easily be adapted for SCD.

You can be trying a diet while simultaneously beginning a treatment prescribed by your doctor, also. I think that is what most people do.

A reminder there have been minimal studies on SCD effects on Crohn's Disease and it can possibly escalate problems due to poor nutritional balancing. It is NOT a replacement for proven therapies, at best it's an adjunct that you need to seriously discuss with your doctor beforehand.

The article in the January 2014 Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition followed 7 kids who were on SCD while tapering off Prednisone.

One incredibly small study does not instantly make something medically proven. It needs a few years of criticism first to see how well their results hold up, that and a lot more studies.

nogutsnoglory

Orchid is spot on. We don't have enough research into any specific diet to verify claims. It may help, may hurt, or may be useless entirely. We simply don't know.

I got significantly worse on the Paleo diet. Crohn's is like Russian roulette and we are all different so it's critical we go with what we know works and of course anything safe to try in addition is great.

A hot new field of natural treatment is studying the bacteria in the guts of people with Crohn's and figuring out if specific good bacteria are missing and then possibly replacing them to help treat Crohn's. http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...-gut-microbes-may-play-role-in-crohns-disease

This is an emerging field though and I don't think there are specific treatments except blasting your gut with a ton of pro-biotics. I take VSL#3 myself. This is alongside Humira though.

Cannabis is the best natural medicine there is, not just for crohn's...I use cannabis, probiotics, and prilosec for my crohn's and thats it. I was given asacol HD, Promethizine, entocort, 6-mp, pain killers, was told to completely avoid dairy and gluten, and offered antideppressants. Dropped all that and replaced with hash oil and feel soooo much better.

specific carbohydrate diet(no lactose or sucrose)

ginger
turmeric
japanese knotweed(resveratrol)
marijuana(could be the best)
colostrum
fish oil
tart cherry juice(melatonin,anthocyanins)

there is a little science that exists for each one.

i use ginger and prefer it over turmeric, but both do different things. I use a small bit of japanese knotweed and once a week take a high amount which can expel intracellular bacteria.
very soon will try marijuana. i have controlled diarhea for 5 years with some concepts from the specific carbohydrate diet. i still deal with other symptoms but i have never had any serious complications and never been hospitalized but my fatigue has always been severe.

Fecal transplant i believe could cure IBD
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=52400

Also, i encourage you to also try standard medications, this disease can be tough to treat you'll need every tool you can get your hands on, try it all one by one.

Any treatment can fail, and they do every day. With thousands of possible variables there are no guarantees with any of them, natural or otherwise.

I use, or have used, conventional, natural, complimentary, and alternative treatments. You have to find what works for you personally.

I use Turmeric, Ginger, Krill oil, MSM specifically for inflammation. It is not enough to keep me my Crohns at bay. Neither was LDN, Imuran or Lialda.

Try everything, but don't get married to any of them. If they do not work, try something else. What is important is that it improves your condition. I still take the supplements, but they are not my main treatment. I would, and did take most of them prior to diagnosis, and for other benefits not specifically for Crohn's.

Good luck.

Dan