• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Member, long time potential sufferer though...

Hey everybody, I'm Mike. I live in CT. I was diagnosed this past October 2012 with Crohn's Colitis. Here's my story...

When I was around 22 or so, I started having these odd fevers and pains in my legs. I would have night-time fevers and night sweats and in the morning, generally felt better. This would go on for two weeks. Doctors couldn't figure out why my white blood cell count was high. No stomach pain at this point, mystery virus went away after two weeks of agony.

Several years later, my brother was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. He had a full on flare-up and ended up on several drugs. The disease was so far along he had to lose a foot of intestine. He is now currently in remission, though he takes Humira every two weeks through self-injection.

Around 2006 I ended up with a fistula after an abscess burst. At first I was diagnosed with Crohn's, but after several tests, including an Upper GI and a Colonoscopy that didn't go well (My doc couldn't get far enough up because I woke up in the middle of the procedure and ended up getting knocked right back out; Was in too much pain for him to proceed and he couldn't get any higher,) they determined I had IBS. I was put on Bentyl and Flagyl and had two surgeries for the Fistula (Learned an important lesson...sitz baths should be performed even after the surgeon tells you to stop Sitz baths. Second time around, it healed.)

A few years went by, and I had a few other small bouts with stomach pains (Mainly on my left side of my stomach and lower back,) with fevers and achy legs.

In the beginning of 2012, I started having more pain, specifically at night when going to bed. I went to the hospital one morning, they said no cancer or other issues. They recommended I see my Gastro though.

After several more months of on again, off again pain and some scary blood in the stool (Wasn't much...maybe two quarters-sized?) I ended up back at the Gastro for a colonoscopy. It was at this time they learned I indeed had Crohn's Colitis.

I was immediately put on Lialda (I've been taking Dicyclomine for the IBS) and things were much better. My bowels were loose and things felt better. This past Februrary though, things got worse and the pains and fevers came back several times off and on again.

The big symptoms when I know I'm having something go on involves the night chills/fevers, pain in legs, and pain/discomfort in lower left (and sometimes right) part of my stomach. I don't lose crazy amounts of weight or throw up. My Gastro wants to now put me on MP6 (or 6MP.) He has upped the dosage for my IBS medicine to a different kind of drug (Can't remember...something with an H....a white scentless, chaulk-like pill,) and we're testing that to see if there's any improvement within a few weeks. Regardless, it's only a matter of time before I am put on MP6.

Currently going through a bout of tummy problems. I've been celebrating my 30th birthday and feel that this has contributed to my bowel movement issues. Still having back/left side tummy pains/discomforts...sometimes wakes me up at night and makes me go to the bathroom. Very little comes out during BM, and when anything does, it's small amounts of Diahria (sp?) Currently switching temporarily to a liquid diet to clear me out (gummy men's multivitamins for loss of electrolytes/vitamins, green jello and prune juice.)

Thanks to all who read this. I'm in the beginning stages of getting all this sorted out. It's nerve-wracking and confusing and scary but hopefully when they put me on the MP6 things calm down a bit.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear that you are still having problems with the tum :( I am curious as to why the IBS meds have been increased considering this is not what you have and may not be able to sort any inflammation that is going on inside - when are you due to start the 6-mp? Have steroids ever been mentioned and have your vitamin levels ever been checked? What liquid diet are you going on? Have you noticed whether certain foods do make the tummy worse?

There is a lot of helpful info and support here so do have a good look around.

AB
xx

Thanks for the response.

The doctor still feels a good chunk of my problems are IBS related, meaning I've got all three problems. I do admit that the IBS medicine does take care of things when I'm not having Crohn's Colitis problems, but lately things have been more related to Crohn's Colitis symptoms than anything.

I noticed Monday morning that I was still seeing things in my BMs that I had eaten Saturday (i.e. rice) and assumed that my BMs were not producing enough, yet I was going pretty frequently. Last night instead of eating the salad I prepared for dinner, I went out and bought prune juice, jello and bottled water. I finally had a bowel movement that produced more than just small amounts, yet it was still diaria. This morning was my first attempt at eating a solid food since yesterday morning (started with a banana.) I've also e-mailed my Gastro to get his opinion on what to do now.

My blood was tested around the time I was diagnosed (last October,) and my doctor said my results were fine. I take a daily multivitamin everyday along with two lialda and IBS meds in the morning and one at night. My Gastro suggested MP6 first and wanted me to think about it and do some research on the drug. I am less worried about the medicine having long term cancer side effects and more concerned with my hair thinning. I was checking out the boards and many people see this as a side effect of MP6 which really has me worried because I have very thick hair and would rather not risk something like that if I don't have to. Steroids have not been discussed as he feels right now it is controllable without the need for surgery. When I asked him if MP6 was the right thing to do, he said it's a good step in the right direction but he wants to eventually get me on what my brother takes which is Humira.

Angrybird

I would say Humira is the next step up from 6-mp, you may have noticed from my signature that I am on this and I have not noticed any issue with my hair thinning so it is worth giving it a try. Did you get your specific vitamin levels given to you? A lot of docs have a habit of saying things are fine even if you are on the very low end of normal and this can still cause issues. Please let us know on what your doc says.