• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New member, major op

Hi all. I've been diagnosed with crohns disease for about 6 years now. I've been through all thr normal barrage of tests and unfortunately had to have a colostomy done back in 2010. Twice herniated. I recently had a major op which was a proctectomy, and a bowel removal. I ended up having to have half of my small bowel removed. I know my severe pain was near yhe breast bone so gathering it was first to middle removal. Anyone had this? What sort of thkngs will change for me? Bowel habits, weight loss ect. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sorry to hear everything you have been through. I do not have any experience with what you went through, I just wanted to say welcome to the forum. I am sure someone on here will have some input for you, it is a great forum with great people. =)

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I have not had this type of op myself either but it is worth having a look at both our stoma sub forum: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46 and our surgery forum: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71 to see if the folks here can assist with your queries. How are things now for you tummy wise? Are you still on any meds for your crohn's? This may already be being done but if not make sure your docs now keep an eye on your vitamin levels as this is a common area with this disease to have problems with deficiences.

Wishing you all the best.

AB
xx

Hi thanks. Tummy wise is not to bad. A bit sore still but as too be expected. Im on macaptupurine 100mg for crohns. But maybe going onto methotrexate? Had infliximab etc but never worked. My small bowrl I had removed was all stuck together in a ball apparently, so prehaps macaptupurine is failing to work too

Angrybird

Oh that does sound nasty and painful, I will be keeping fingers crossed that things can calm down for you now. Please keep us updated on how you get on.

Hi, cheers. I'll keep you updated. I feel a lot better since getting out of hospital so hopefully a few more werks and I'll be back to normal. Apart from not taking 180mg of morphine a day because of the pain