• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New member - my Crohn's story

Hey all,
After finding this site and reading a lot of the useful stuff on it, I wanted to take part and share my story. Will try to keep it as short as possible! (I am new to forums in general so it's all a learning experience!)

I'm originally from the UK and was diagnosed in April 2002 after nine months of to-ing and fro-ing, with the doctor trying to convince me and my mum that I just had irritable bowels. I lost so much weight and could barely eat anything... in the end a helpful consultant gave me a colonoscopy and made the diagnosis. (I was 22.)

Started taking Asacol, Azathioprine and prednisolone, which sorted me out a treat Then in 2005 i started getting a few pains from the scar tissue in my narrowed colon. So in April 2005 I had surgery - a strictureplasty to open up the narrowed parts.

I came round in the recovery room with a temporary ileostomy. Urgh. It took a couple of months for my colon to heal, but they couldn't fit me in to reverse the ileostomy for NINE MONTHS. So I was walking around for the rest of the year with my 'poo pocket' (a name coined by my then-boyfriend :) ) Luckily I eventually got in for the op and got it all sorted.

Anyway, was in remission for ages, taking Asacol and Azathioprine. Moved to Dubai in May 2008, found a new consultant, all going well.

Then last Sept I developed a peri-anal abscess and an annoying skin tag. Luckily it healed quite quickly, but developed into a fistula. Since then I've developed another two fistulas, which don't cause too many probs, but I'm starting to feel my general symptoms flaring up and I am worried about the long-term prognosis.

My consultant suggested both Remicade and Humira, but neither are covered under my Dubai health insurance (and would cost me up to $4,000 a go). So at the mo I'm feeling quite down. The short-term symptoms don't seem too bad, but I still have at the back of my mind the memory of my ileostomy, and the realisation that at some point I may end up back there again.

I feel I've had it quite easy up to now and have managed to deal with everything the disease has thrown at me. But I also realise I've had reasonably mild symptoms compared with some of the guys on this forum. Looking back, even my bad stomach pains somehow seemed easier to deal with than the problems of abscesses, fistulas and so on... and it looks like i might be now entering the territory of more serious, hardcore problems.

Hence why I sought out this forum for information, advice and a friendly ear!

:welcome:

I'm fairly new to all this stuff and have found this place a great form of therapy and information.

I have been having a 'weird' kinda soe feeling in my butt for the past few days and hope it isn't an abscess like you!! Sounds like you have had things okay for quite long periods. Good luck in sorting things out this time and having another long stretch of remission :)

Hi Bec.
don't have any advice, really, but i've an ear... not sure how well it works,but....
("huh? speak up deary")

:D

hiya Bec & welcome. i don't have any advice either, regarding meds insurance.. i know nothing of how the system works over there, but i feel so sorry for anyone living in a country where they have to struggle financially just to simply get the medication or treatment they need.

i really hope you can find a way to get meds to alleviate these symptoms.. and i hope they stay away from that point onwards. i just wanted to say.. the prospect of having an ileostomy again at some point in your future shouldn't be feared so. i have one - and i'd rather have it, than the Crohn's wreckage which was my large intestine - which ruined my life and nearly killed me.

umm, sorry that sounded really harsh there - but i just want people to realise having a stoma isn't the worst scenario when it comes to Crohn's/IBD. sometimes it can be the best.

Hi there bec. Fistula's are a pain in the arse! I think I'm lucky in that I only have one seton so far.

Good luck with getting the right meds, and:welcome:

:welcome: bec. You've come to the right place. It's a great group of people here to lend an ear (or eye I suppose).

Thanks guys, so nice to know there are so many people out there who know how I feel and are going through similar things!
Will let you know how I get on with the medical insurance thing... having lived in the UK my whole life (until now), I'm beginning to realise how good the NHS really is.
How do you guys in the States cope with insurance?! It seems as though as soon as you have a chronic, pre-existing condition, no insurance company will go near you! Not to mention the fact that no Dubai insurers will cover immunosuppressant drugs (I have to pay for Imuran out of my own pocket. Guh.)

welcome to the forum
i can relate to something here,i m about to gradute college in couple of months and was planning to go live and work in Dubai,that was b4 i was diagnosed with crohn last month,and now i don't know what to do i mean how the hck am gonna find a job in marketing while i look like a skeleton and cant gain wieght?,do they hire some1 with CD already ?how am i suppose to work long hours when am flaring? and u say u have to pay for the drugs too?
didnt mean to steal yr thunder lol

Milf is a shortening of my surname, and a nickname I've had for a few years (used in jest by my closest friends!)... and no, I don't have any kids :)

MD24, if you're thinking of coming to Dubai, it's a great place! Most companies give their staff fully-comp health insurance, but they don't always cover all the meds. Most of mine are covered, just not Imuran... The healthcare over here is pretty good, TBH.

I guess if you just got diagnosed it can be pretty worrying looking for work etc, but in my experience employers have always been very understanding.

And if you want any more info on Dubai, just let me know!

PS
After battling for ages to try to get my insurance co to cover Humira, my extremely helpful GI doc has found a 'workaround' (free samples from drug company and other such things) and I start in a fortnight. Woohoo!
Now I better start trawling the forums to find out what to expect from my first shots... eek!

I know this is years after the fact but I'm desperate. I'm moving to Dubai soon and having serious trouble finding any insurance company that will cover my Remicade infusions. My husband has been living out there for two months now and the only hold up has been trying to get me coverage.

Becmilf, do you have any advice? Please help!

Thanks guys, so nice to know there are so many people out there who know how I feel and are going through similar things!
Will let you know how I get on with the medical insurance thing... having lived in the UK my whole life (until now), I'm beginning to realise how good the NHS really is.
How do you guys in the States cope with insurance?! It seems as though as soon as you have a chronic, pre-existing condition, no insurance company will go near you! Not to mention the fact that no Dubai insurers will cover immunosuppressant drugs (I have to pay for Imuran out of my own pocket. Guh.)
I could say the same thing. I'm from New Zealand and now live in the US. The NZ system not quite the same as the US system, but oh, so much cheaper! The law has changed here so pre-existings cannot be excluded, but the cost for insurance still isn't cheap and it's complex and convoluted. Better to have something than nothing though! I didn't have insurance for a couple of years and didn't bother following up on stuff I really needed to because I could barely afford the routine doctor's visit out of pocket.

Also, glad to see you're not settling for the IBS umbrella. To me, it's not very helpful to give you a 'syndrome', but not define what it is, or what the cause is. Sometimes a real definition can be the direction in which you can get help. That's just me anyway - I hate the term IBS - it's code for "we don't know".

Like others, I had a temporary ileostomy and reversal, and have lived the last 20 years in fear of having a permanent one. I am thinking about becoming a bag lady and one of the thing about the forum has made me realise that many times it allows a quality of life that it just not possible without it. Yes, it may be in your future but no-one knows, treatment is improving all the time so it is important not to worry about it. So glad you are starting Humira and hoping it works for you.