• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New member, "old" story

Hello everybody!!
I'm mikko and I'm an 30 years old italian guy.
i suffer from crohn's disease since 6-7 years ago, 2 important surgery, and after a lot different kind of medicines, now i'm living a good period with use of humira injections.

i live in Milan, where i work as a 3D CAD modeler, offshore and steel structure, i'm a big sport passionate and a good bicycle rider (MTB, TT and road race).

after my trip in the USA this summer (NYC, SAN FRANCISCO & CAL) we, my girlfriend and I, are wondering to move to the USA, for work and live here, to have a different and a better life style.

so i'm here asking you how a crohn's patient is treated in the USA, what about medicine, Assurance, surgery and everything is important for our life and health.

thanks in advance everyone will help me to understand and get into a different social organization.

p.s. I'm sorry for my bad english! :lol:

nogutsnoglory

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure how Italy is in terms of healthcare so it would be hard to compare but in America we don't have socialized medicine like much of Europe. Our healthcare industry is very capitalist driven and so costs are high but wait times are lower and care is fast. We have a host of insurance plans and now a government healthcare law kicking in which will provide affordable options. The medications are probably the same, we have Humira approved here as well. Hope your move is easy and you find a good medical team to continue your crohn's treatment here.

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure how Italy is in terms of healthcare so it would be hard to compare but in America we don't have socialized medicine like much of Europe. Our healthcare industry is very capitalist driven and so costs are high but wait times are lower and care is fast. We have a host of insurance plans and now a government healthcare law kicking in which will provide affordable options. The medications are probably the same, we have Humira approved here as well. Hope your move is easy and you find a good medical team to continue your crohn's treatment here.
we have been lucky this summer beacause we spoke with a lot of people, everyone was surprised when i tell them that here everything is free and for everyone is the same, but....it's not completely real, becuse i Always pay taxes and part of this taxes go for my surgery and for my medicines. and i'm lucky because i live in the North of italy....in the South probably i'll be unable to feel in the same way. (none kind of racism os something like that...is the pure reality)
in the usa everyone can spend, i think, his money how he wants, he must take care of himself or his family.

we aren't wondering about USA for this, we have see a different way to see life, different culture, everything and every place as PRO and CONS, but i'm Always scaried when i move to a new country and in this case a country with a so different life e social organization.

i need to study everything and i hope that your infos can help me! :hug:

Welcome aboard!

I spent two months in Milan a million years ago and LOVED it!

You will find the healthcare here stunningly expensive as well as stunningly quick (to get an appt/tests/surgery/you name it).