• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Member - Question About Fistulas

Hi all! I just wanted to start by saying that I love this forum and am so happy to have found it! This is my first post.

At a recent visit to my GI he told me my recent CT scan showed two small fistulas - one between sections of my small intestine and one between sections of my large intestine. He said this was no big deal, just something I should be aware of.

Is this really no big deal? Will they heal on their own (I am currently on Imuran but just started three months ago)? Can they cause the fevers I sometimes get?

Thanks!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Welcome MLG, cute name! I am happy you found us too, I have been here 2 years and I still learn a lot here! Everyone is great and we vent, cry and laugh. Goodness knows we all share the same things here, even though we are all different we still want help from time to time!

Umm, fistula's are NOT something to not worry about. They can cause narrowing and be infected as well which will cause some fevers in some people. Are you on any medications? Any symptom of Crohn's or colitis should be taken seriously. Not to be stressed over it, there are many meds and natural stuff that can help.

Lots of people here to give you their experiences. Keep us posted. No question is too little, hope we can help you. Welcome aboard!

Last edited:

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Hi MLG - Glad you found us!
I was under the impression that fistulas ARE something to worry about. If left untreated, they can get worse. I guess you should just keep a close watch on it? One of mine has gotten better since I have been in remission, and the other one I had surgically removed as it wouldn't calm down on its own. Hope the imuran is helping you out.
Welcome to the forum!
MBH

Thanks for the quick responses and warm welcome. I am on Imuran. I had the CT Scan January 6th (though didn't go back to see my GI until March 31st which is when he told me about the fistulas) and had started the Imuran January 1st. I haven't had any fevers since then so perhaps it is possible the Imuran already healed them? Is that even possible or just wishful thinking?

Fistulas can heal. They are stubborn and it can take time, but they can heal. I did have a fistula form an abcess once and just about kill me, so it can be serious. Make sure to go in to the doctor or ER if you notics and fevers and/or sharp pains, and/or vomiting. If you feel good then try not to worry about it. The first time I went on Immuran I responded really well to it. I went into remission and after a year I stopped taking it and stayed in remission for about 3 more years. I just started the immuran this time around so I dont know how well I will respond to it this time, but the first time went really good. I did pick up colds and infections a lot more often which is why I chose to stop taking it in the first place.

Last edited:

Astra

Hi Mapleleafgirl
and welcome

Happy that you're happy to have found us!
Any questions, just shoot, wanna vent, go ahead!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

MLG how high are your fevers getting?

the fistulas tracts themselves dont cause fevers, but they can get infected. this infection can turn into an abcess, or vice versa: a fistula can form as a result of an abcess trying to drain itself. the tract is the body seeking a way for the infection to get out.

the times that this happened to me, i think they usually used a mri or ct scan to diagnose. if theres a pocket of infection inside you somewhere, it should show up on the scan.

as the others said, it IS something that needs attention. fistulas can be a very simple thing to deal with, but they can also be horribly stubborn.

push to get it looked at!

The highest my fevers ever get is 101 and I haven't had one since the middle of January. Other than a bad day here and there I have actually been feeling okay. I came off prednisone three weeks ago and I think the Imuran is working. The CT scan I had at beginning of January didnt show any infection, just the two small fistulas. Maybe that's why he said I should not be too worried. I am hoping they have already healed. Too be on the safe side I am going to call the nurse at the digestive disease clinic I go to and ask more questions. That way I can also ask about the blood tests I had done last week. Thanks for all of the advice!

yay glad to hear that you are feelin kinda ok.

and def glad that the CT was clean too.....

keep on pestering them tho to make sure all stays well, youre doing a good job at self advocacy here. many of us, myself included, have caused only more problems for ourselves by not being persistnet enough

:)

I had a few show up post surgery in the same kind of place. You have to remember that the internal ones like that are quite a bit different than the ones some people get at the bottom end of things. Those external ones around the butt sound very uncomfortable and I could see them being much more problematic.

I am also on Imuran to close the looping going on with my small bowel. And also to help prevent others from forming. I am very cautious of Fevers because it is a likely sign of active disease compounded with infection from a fistula hitting the abdominal wall. I think it has been working GREAT!

edit: oh and you really need to watch out they don't bridge your bladder. The last part of the ileum is right there against the bladder and it happens sometimes.

ahh good point kenny!!

makes me think, they can bridge to your vag too :(

its unfortunate, but theres a bunch of us on here who have managed!

hopefully it wont happen, but if you start to notice anything weird, just be aware that everything is close in there, as kenny said

I agree...fistulas are something to be concerned about. I have one in my duodenum and is causing me grief. I am on dis-solvable Entocort and back on Imuran to help that part of my bowel.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
kello82 said:
ahh good point kenny!!

makes me think, they can bridge to your vag too :(

its unfortunate, but theres a bunch of us on here who have managed!
Been there, had that!.....before I staretd on the remicade, I had at least a couple of fistuals form, perianal and vag.....thinking back, that was almost worse than the abd pain!!!!! Thankfully, shortly after starting the remicade, those closed up by themselves, and I was able to avoid surgery to close them!