• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New member seeking pregnany advice using Infliximab :)

Hi guys,

I've joined mainly to meet others in a similar situation to myself. I'm 24 in feb and have been diagnosed with severe CD for 2 years. I have been on infliximab infusions for 4 months - very successfully and am now beginning to plan a family. I recently came off long term steroid use - wuhoo! I'd love some info on continued use of infliximab ( I'm yet to hear of any horror stories but know the evidence of safe use is lacking ) ! I suffer with abscess and fistulas and think a C section will be recommended as I've had surgery to investigate these leaving scar tissue ( the joys of Crohn's! ). Hope you guys are all doing well :) thanks for stopping by , any info on meds / crohns during preg and c section is much appreciated. Love Lou :kiss::kiss: xx

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I am currently 29 wks pregnant but am on 6-mp and have not had problems with fistula's or abscesses. I did have an op last year however which left scar tissue behind and I have been told currently that there is no reason why I can't have a natural birth. One thing I would advise it to make sure that the tum is fully settled before trying for a baby, this will help increase your chances of conceiving and you are less likely to experience tummy issues during the pregnancy - for me this pregnancy has got me feeling the best I have in years. How are things now for you? Has the Infliximab been able to sort the fistula's and abscesses? To get some further information in this area do check out our parenting/trying to conceive sub forum: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45 and our Inflixmab sub forum: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58.

Wishing you all the best.

AB
xx

Good advice, Angry. My GI always told me to do my best to NOT get pregnant during a flare, as the beginning of pregnancy and right after having a baby are key times in which the hormones can bring on flare. And like you, I felt better pregnant both times than I ever had.

Thanks for getting in touch! Congratulations on your pregnancy! Has it affected your crohns in any way, did you conceive easily with your children?

The infliximab infusions have been working a treat - no abscesses since and jus one naughty fistula that won't go away but has definitely improved.

So glad to finally be off the prednisolone ( from 40mg to none - wahoo ! Just the weight to lose now :( ! ).

Wishing you and your bundle of joy lots of love xx

Angrybird

For me this is my first baby and it only took 2 months to conceive - I was astonished at how quickly it happened as I was sure it was going to take ages considering all my body had been through. i am pleased to hear for the most part things are heading in the right direction tummy wise and that you are off the pred, this is such a pig of a med but it does such a good job at calming the tum.

Please keep us updated on how you are getting on.