• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New member to the group and Crohn's

Hello, I am new to this group and new to my Crohn's disease. (I was diagnosed 6 months ago when I went to the er for extreme pain and had to have surgery for a perferated bowl) I am still trying to learn all the different things that upset my condition so any suggestions are welcome! One question I have is about "flares", how do you know if you are having one? I have Days where my pain is worse than I'm used to (but it's amazing what you can get used to) and I feel extremely tired. When I feel this way I switch to a liquid diet for a couple days till the pain stops. I am terrified of ending up in the hospital again and having another surgery! That was the worst experience of my life! But typically my "flares" If that's what I'm having only last about 3 days to a week so I'm not sure if that's what I'm having or not. Please help, all advice is appreciated!

nogutsnoglory

Welcome to the forum. In my opinion flares are for extended periods of time and during them you will have better and worse periods. If you are generally unwell whether its manifesting in pain, increased diarrhea, blood, loss of appetite, weakness that sounds like a period of active disease.