• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New member to your group

Hi all
I have just found out I have crohns
I have no idea what to expect....
I have just got back from the Hospital and been told I have to have scan of the stomach, blood test a whole body scan and xrays ...
As I live in Tenerife Spain all this was done in Spanish and I didn't understand all the technical terms....
Nor do I understand what to expect with this and do I always live in pain or can this be controlled
I am going to read through every thing I can find on this illness but would be so grateful
for any information any one could give... ie what foods should I be eating and what foods should I avoid.........
Please
Thank you all for any help
sara

Hi Alfie, Welcome to the forum :)

I'm so sorry you have been given this diagnosis, I know it's a bit of a shock and takes a little getting used too. Although at least you now you know what you are dealing.

You have come to the right place for info, there is so much here you should find the help you need. Make use the search facility here cos' it will provide loads of good stuff.

First off this is a link to info about a low residue diet that is probably best to try at this stage: http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Low-Residue-Diet it's basically cut out nuts, fruit with skins on, high fiber foods, spicy foods and carbonated drinks. Many people also find that corn and corn products can make symptoms worse. Check out the diet and fitness sub-forum too. I'm still quite new to this too and have found that by changing my diet things improved a bit, previously I ate high fiber and low GI.

Everyones' experience of Crohns will differ and what works for one might not work for someone else and the disease can be controlled with the right treatment :). I know how overwhelming this feels at the minute, but with time and knowledge it will be okay, you are doing the right thing by wanting to learn about it all. A little tip to help if your tummy is sore is heat, whether it be a hot water bottle or a towel just out of a tumble dryer, heat is quite soothing for me, I would be lost without my microwavable bags :).

How are you feeling right now? What are your symptoms like?

Is there someone that speaks spanish that could go to the hospital with you or maybe someone from the hospital could be with you to help with the language problem?

I do hope you get some info soon that helps and please feel free to ask any questions and I mean ANY no question cannot be asked here :) As I said I am still relatively new to Crohns so I know I've probably missed a whole lot out but there will be others here that can fill in the big gaps. Please keep in touch and take care. :ghug:

Hi alfie. Welcome to the Forum. This disease can be controlled. The goal is to get in remission and you will not have pain, inflammation nor symptoms. Knowledge is power, so learn everything you can. Keep in mind everybody is different, so what works for some may not work for you. Keep track of your food, meds and you will know what triggers D or pain. Some can not eat certain foods while for others it does not make a difference. My first language is Spanish so if you need a translation of something, I will be happy to help you if possible. Feel free to send me a private message.