• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New member, UC patient-

Hello, I live in the Great Northwest (Seattle area). I have had ulcerative colitis since about 2006. I was misdiagnosed initially, & suffered along until a complete physical breakdown brought about a hospital stay in 2008, when I began an aggressive treatment; first w/prednisone to reduce the inflammation & then 4800 mg Asacol a day.
I was in remission for a few years but then had to discontinue Asacol due to the extremely high cost. My colitis is now gradually returning & I am concerned for my health. I understand there is no generic equivalent available for me.
I was wondering if anyone knew when a generic may hit the market? I read somewhere that the patent was up in the spring of 2013 but I can't find that info any more.

I seem to recall having heard sometime in 2013 as well, but I'm not sure.

In the meantime, you should check out the drug companies directly who manufacture mesalamine (Asacol, Apriso, Lialda, Penatas, etc.), as many of them offer patient assist programs which can SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the cost, and in some cases provide the medication free of charge or as little as $10.00.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I would also go to Asacol's website. I think the last time I looked they had coupons for HD Asacol. But, I know in the past they've had printable coupons for regular Asacol.