• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Member - Undiagnosed

Hi All,

I have just found this forum after a little Internet research and thought I'd share my experience.

I am 26 and currently undiagnosed.

It all started around 3 1/2 years ago. I can remember being sat at my computer and every now and again would get a very uncomfortable feeling in my left side. If I changed position this would go away. It returned every now and again but could always be controlled by a change of position.

After around 6 months this feeling (it's almost like a pressure or bloating) became constant but bearable. At this time I did have IBS type symptoms but didnt pay attention to them as I put the toilet troubles down to my diet (I was 21 stone and ate 4-5 takeaways a week).

After about 6 months it became really uncomfortable and sometimes a little sore so I went to the doctors. To cut a long story short over the next 6 months I was told it was IBS, constipation, Kidney Infection, because I was Fat and muscle strain all by different doctors.

I moved doctors when I mooved home and this doctor finally took me seriously. She did a urine test a few times which always showed small signs of blood so over the next year I had multiple tests for anything to do with my kidneys which all came back negative (IVU, Abdomen CT, Flexi Sig, some other kidney scan, multiple ultrasounds) nothing was found on any of them.

In December 2011 I was taken to A+E due to a huge pain in my back, left side and groin. I was given antibiotics and painkillers and told it was Kidney Stones. They did another IVU and still didnt find anything so send me home with the diagnosis of (it was proberbly kidney stones). In this time I was also given Omebrazol and mebrevine for acid reflux.

I still felt crap for a few weeks afterwards but cleared up a little bit after this. In may 2012 I split with my partner and decided to get really healthy, I started yoga and eating less and got down to 16 1/2 stone.

In September I was sent to A+E with chest pains and was diagnosed with a chest infection. Since then I have almost been in constant pain.

I have always know something has been wrong but never sure what due to my range of symptoms but nothing has ever been found until this Monday.

I had an endoscopy which showed the following;

Esophogus - Normal
Stomach - Normal
Duodenum - Moderate erosion with no bleeding.

I was told I had Duodenitis and to follow up with my doctor (which I am now waiting for) a biopsy has been taken to see if this is due to H-Pylori.

Reading a bit into this duodenitis it showed that 90% it's caused by H-Pylori but can sometimes be caused by Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis.

Below is a full range of my symptoms to make it easier to read.

Pain - mainly a swelling feeling in lower left hand side above ribs. Bloating of the stomach. Sometimes cramping/shooting pains in lower left back and up into chest/nipple area. I also get the occasional throbbing down my left groin.

Bowels - never a normal bowel movement. The majority of the time my BMs are yellowish with lots of undigested food in (chips, onions, salad) and there seems to be lots of fat in the stool. Sometimes I feel constipated and can squeeze a little bit out which is orange, very sticky but with no food in it. I also have bouts of diareeah where it is just pure water with food in. On 2 occasions I have had blood in my stool (once it was loads of bright red blood and nothing else, the second time it was a normal yellow BM but with a spec of blood at the end) it always smells really bad and I have loads of gas as well. I also seems to suffer from 'leaky arse' where I'll be out walking and it's almost like I've sweat loads on my anus but its actually an oily type of discharge.

Loads of gas from both ends

I would wish this disease on anyone but after 4 years of pain, discomfort and not knowing I'm hoping things can be discovered soon to give me some closure.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Just to confirm have you ever had a colonoscopy? Have you been tested for SIBO and infections etc? Also has anything been done recently to look at your small bowel? Do your symptoms seem worse depending on what you eat? Have you now received an appt date with your doc for the biopsy results?

AB
xx

Hi,

No I've had a flexible sigmoidoscopy which shows only the sigmoid colon but never a full colonoscopy. Also I don't believe I've had SIBO or infection testing. The doctor has taken multiple blood tests but only ever mentioned a vitamin D deficieny.

I think one of the problems is that I have not yet been referred to a GI so my doctor is just going through he bog standard tests (full bloody count etc).

I haven't been referred to the GI yet as my doctor has spend a long time looking at my kidneys due to the traces of blood in my urine.

I should be seeing my doctor on Tuesday so I'll be discussing the recent finding of my endoscopy with her and asking for a referral to the GI.

For now I've been placed on 30mg Lanzaprozol twice a day.

Yeah I was given vitamin D tablets for 2 months and told to go back for a blood test afterwards, just finished my course so I'll be having the follow up blood tests on Tuesday as well.

Well I went to the Doctors on Tuesday (had to fight to get an appointment as the clinician that phoned me back wanted me to finish my 6 week course of Lanzaprozol before having an appointment).

The results of the biopsy hadn't come back yet so couldn't tell if it was H-Pylori related.

The Doctor asked how I was an I lost it (in a completely non threatening way of course) and told her that I feel that I am being fobbed off. I explained that I have had these problems for a long time and they only seem to be getting worse.

She asked what I though it was and I explained that although I'm not an expert it seems like a problem with my digestive tract and that after finding inflammation in my Duodenum that I thought it might be Crohn's, I explained the most prominent/worrying symptoms (pain, undigested food, yellow poo, blood in toilet) and she was shocked..it appears that some of the other Doctors have neglected to pass certain info on when I have discussed it with them.

In light of this my Doctor had me do a blood test to check for vitamin deficits. She's given me a tub to give a stool sample to check for celiac etc and then is going to refer me to a GI, she said she is going to do some research as to where the best clinic is that deals with the stuff is and refer me there.

Although physically I feel like utter crap at the moment I feel a lot better now that someone is taking me seriously. Lets hope we can find out what's wrong we me before the end of 2013.

Angrybird

Glad this doc is now going to get things moving forward for you although frustrating that the other docs had not passed on important information. Did they prescribe anything to perhaps help with symptoms?

I had already been prescribed Lanzaprozol which I have to take twice a day (30mg). Apart from that nothing.

I'm just taking paracetamol when the pain gets really bad. I've for an appointment at Yorkshire clinic (which is apparently one of the best places in my area) on 23rd May so only 12 days till I can talk to someone who knows about this stuff.

Having some major burning going on in my left side today after having a couple of beers last night.

Hello, just a small update. Went to the GI yesterday who seemed like a very nice and very intelligent man.

He sat down with me, told me he had the notes from my doctor but didnt care about them, he wanted me in my own word to explain all my symptoms.

After doing this and having a little prod and poke around he decided that it was best to be sent for a colonoscopy as a starting point. He explained that I would be having it done at the Yorkshire clinic so wouldn't have the usual NHS wait time to contend with so I expect I should have this done within a couple of weeks.

I'll update further when I get chance x

Wonderful! It's so good to hear about a positive experience with the doctor. Sounds like he is a good one, and will what is necessary to help you. Good luck with the colonoscopy, I hope you have good news to share next time!

Very quick update while I'm on dinner.

Colo is scheduled for 26th June so only a couple a weeks to wait.

Hopefully they find something because I'm tired of all the pain!

Good luck! I hope they find something during your colonoscopy. not too long to wait, only a couple of weeks! I see my GI on Wednesday, we'll see what he says. I'm guessing I'll be having a colonoscopy of my very own, soon.

Angrybird

Wishing you all the best for the upcoming scope, the docs can tell you a little about what they see straight after the procedure so hopefully you will soon know what is going on.

Thanks guys, it's the not knowing that's annoying me the most.

The last few weeks I have been suffering from high left sided back ache.

It's an ache more than a pain and its aching just underneath my left shoulder.

I also found out a few days ago that my brother in law suffers from UC and PSC so I've had a few long chats with him which has been helpful.

Hi,

I have read through your posts and feel your frustration. I can have pass yellow diarrhea if I eat too much fat, and the gas etc. A bland diet will definitely help your bowels with the trauma.
I was always told that bright red blood is usually down to a pile bleeding - internal or external or a sore from going to the loo too much!!
I have suffered from the back pain, just under my shoulder blade on one side, and was told this is usually referred pain, it just gets better!
Good luck with the colonoscopy, make sure you take all the prep to clear your bowels.
Hopefully you will have some answers soon, oh by the way do you get any mouth ulcers?

Well just a quick update on me.

I had the colonoscopy a few weeks ago (as you may know from other threads) and the GI who did the exam said he didn't think there was anything to worry about, he'd send the results on to my GP.

Had an appointment with my GP earlier this week which I wasn't happy about how the whole appointment went. She stated she hasn't got the results from the biopsies yet, she hasn't got the stool same results from about 6 weeks ago and she hasn't even got the endoscopy biopsy results from months ago yet!!

She also stated that if the biopsy results come back negative that they will put my symptoms down to IBS and the pain down to a slightly arthritic lower spine!

I had a strong word with her, I was happy to accept the the pain could be caused by my spine but I explained that as I hadn't had a 'normal' bowel movement in nearly 2 years, I suffer from gas almost daily and that in almost every stool there was undigested food that I wasn't happy with an IBS diagnosis and that I believed the problem was with my small bowel hence the colon looking clear on the colonoscopy. She said we should wait until the biopsy was back before we decided where to go next!!

Last night however I received a letter from the GI I was referred to and he wants a follow up appointment on the 1st August. Now I'm not 100% sure how to take this. There was no mention of the results in his appointment letter so I don't know whether to assume that they may have found something and want to discuss it...or whether they found nothing and want to discuss where to go next!

I'll give an update after going to the GI and see what he says. Fingers crossed that he also doesn't try fobbing me off with IBS.

Angrybird

Sorry to hear your still waiting for answers hun, is there a number to call on the letter you got from the GI so you can call and try and get some info before the appt?

Well went to my follow up appointment yesterday. All 10 biopsies were clear including the ones from the TI. The GI said on numerous occasions IBS but I refused to accept this and pushed for further investigation.

He said that he didn't believe further investigations were warranted but for my peace of mind he'll order a CT scan of the small bowel and pancreas. He said that this might change to an MRI as some clinicians at the Yorkshire clinic preferred to use the MRI for diagnostic purposes.

So that's that, I'll just wait for the CT/MRI of the small bowel and if that turns nothing up I'll be officially given an IBS diagnosis!!

Still feeling crap (no pun intended) I'm never in any major debilitating pain but have constant discomfort with cramping 100% of the time...there's no respite whatsoever. I'm convinced due to the type of stools I've seen over the last year and area I get cramps and bloating that I have some form of small bowel issue so we'll wait and see what these results are like!