• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Member with questions

My name is Kyra and I'm 39. I was diagnosed with crohn's disease at 18. I've had various issues over the years from crohn's (blockages, pancreatitis, infections, a resection in 07). I'm now in a bad flare and looking for advice from people who have been there. Since my resection in 07, I've really stayed away from the Dr.'s. I bounce around to GI's and find one reason or another not to like them. Now, since mid Oct, I've had so many symptoms and was in the hospital the beginning of Nov. with extreme chest pain. They kept me overnight not finding out what the pain was. Well, I liked the GI in the hospital and followed up with him. He did a ton of tests. I tested positive for CDiff and inflammation, just got MRI results yesterday and showed the entire ileum has severe wall thickening and inflammation. He wants me to start cimzia and I'm freaking out. I hate the drugs and side effects but feel at this point, I have to surrender to the drugs and Dr. He said I could take prednisone, but I hate that drug. Then he said Pentasa, but I never had results from that, so then he said the biologics. My head is spinning from all this. I feel I have to start the cimzia, but terrified. Wondering how others have done on cimzia or other treatments that helped for them.
I really appreciate any advice anyone can give. Feeling a bit hopeless right now.

its a battle you will face the rest of your life you know your own body trust it, after resection,tests, and different meds for 10 yrs I had to start remicade by body wasnt reacting to drugs for corhns, been on remicade for 8 yrs, last 5 yrs have have had a port in chest because my veins wern't cooperating, i feel ok been ok for 7yrs, remicade has many side effects but out weights the corhn flareups, when my body reacts to stress , i have mini flares, BUT, knock on wood , Medications can work, unfortunatly you if possible have to try alot till you find the one that works for you

Honestly starting by taking a deep breath. It is all overwhelming but you have options and can make a choice. There will always be side effects. Don't let that stop you from something you may need to feel better.