• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi, I am new to the forum! I was diagnosed 2 years ago with Crohns, previously diagnosed for 30 years as irritable bowel. I am now on imuran and am looking for feedback on anyone that has experienced side effects.
I have read the side effects of this drug and it's a little terrifying!
Also Asacol 3 tabs 3 times daily. ( last 2 years)
Thank you

my little penguin

Staff member
Welcome!!!
Hopefully the new med will work.
My DS was on 6-mp for about 8 months.
No real side effects.
His liver levels ( ast /alt) did become elevated so our Gi added allopurinol to keep it from going to his liver.
In the end though it just wasn't enough to keep his disease in check.
Just be sure to have regular blood work ( at least every two weeks ) at first.
This lets the docs know there is an issue before there is an issue kwim.

Good luck

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I have been on the Imuran twice and both times it did wonders for the tum, I did get some thinning of the hair but otherwise overall did not have any issues initially. The first time I was on this for over a year and whilst I felt fine my bloods showed that it was causing issues with my blood count so it was stopped, the second time ir was stopped due to headaches. Everyone is different though with meds and others have done really well on this med as a long term treatment.

Please keep us updated on how you get on.

AB
xx

Hi, I am new to the forum! I was diagnosed 2 years ago with Crohns, previously diagnosed for 30 years as irritable bowel. I am now on imuran and am looking for feedback on anyone that has experienced side effects.
I have read the side effects of this drug and it's a little terrifying!
Also Asacol 3 tabs 3 times daily. ( last 2 years)
Thank you
I was on Imuran for a short while soon after diagnosis (was also on Prednisolone at the time), after about 5-7 days on Imuran I started to develop really bad arthritic symptoms, stiffness and pain in the joints, could hardly even walk. When he heard, my GI told me to stop taking the Imuran immediately. With 3-4 days of stopping, the arthritic symtoms dissappeared.
Currently on Humira which seem to be beginning to work....

Hope this helps.