• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hey y'all! My name is Aaliyah and I am 14. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in January of this year. In early November of 2012 I started getting these odd stomach pains. At first I thought it might have been something I ate or maybe just a stomach bug, but after two months of the reoccurring stomach pains I went to see a doctor. I had a week long hospital stay because I was malnourished and they started me on 60mg of prednisone. I was on that and I started feeling better so I started to taper off of it. Then I got another flare and had to go back up. Now I'm tapering off of it again and I'm at 30mg and I'm feeling pretty good.😃

scottsma

Welcome Aaliya, I'm glad you found the forum.There are lots of young people on that will help you with advice and support,we also have a chat room.Don't be afraid to ask questions or be embarrassed,we're all in the same boat and we've heard it all before.Everyone is different in symptoms,diagnosis and meds.,but there is lots of useful advice on here,you only have to ask.I hope today is a GOOD day for you,and tomorrow too.Best Wishes.

Welcome to the forum, Liyah. We have a Teen Forum that you may want to check out as well. Has your GI discussed maintenance meds for after you taper off the steroids? I think you will find a wealth of info here and so glad you joined!

Thanks! And yes I have been on 6mp for about two months now and I will be on that until it stops working.

Angrybird

Hello Liyah and welcome to the forum :)

What dosage of the 6mp are you on? Are you on a calcium supplement for the steroids? I will be keeping fingers crossed that the 6mp can keep the tum settled for you.

AB
xx

Hey Liyah, it's frustrating to have Crohn's when you are a teenager. I was diagnosed back when I was 18 but had problems at years before then although not massively.

If you are on 6mp (hopefully on a sufficient dosage) you need to give it a bit of time. Immunosuppressives can take three to four months to fully kick in. If things don't get better you could, for instance, ask your GI for combi therapy with biologics. Especially for recently diagnosed Crohn's patients, biologics have been shown to be the most effective drugs (although until recently doctors have consistently used aza or 6mp first before trying biologics) in recent studies (with immunosuppressives and biologics combo being the most effective).

For malnutrition you could ask your doc about supplemental liquid nutrition bottles (just make sure they are neutral flavor, or your Crohn won't thank you...).

Hang in there, thankfully there are lots of things you can do these days to get go remission and you'll see if you get yourself well informed and get a good Crohn's management in place, you will get better.