• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi, everyone. I'm 46 years old. Was diagnosed with Crohn's 2004 following a colonoscopy and other tests. At first symptoms were only bloating and gurgling sounds, and frequent diarrhea. Was successfully treated with Entocort. Later was able to get off medication altogether and control the symptoms with probiotics and enzymes (which I took with every meal), and Imodium when necessary. This worked well until 2013, with only the occasional flare-up. As of July of 2013, however, my condition got worse and I began to experience nausea on a daily basis (after eating, but sometimes also in the morning on an empty stomach). At first they thought I had developed GERD, and I was put on Nexium, which seemed to have help somewhat until I experienced an intestinal obstruction for the first (and so far last) time in my life — a traumatic experience. After this, underwent colonoscopy/endoscopy again and was told my Crohn's has gotten worse and is now considered severe, with parts of the large intestines no wider than a finger. I still need to weigh my options with the doctor: some of the drugs out there scare me (side effects), and I don't know if I want an operation at this point. Still hoping this "super flare-up" will go away naturally. I am now on a soft-food diet, lots of exercise, and taking anti-inflammatory supplements such as omega 3 fish oil, magnesium and soy milk. I'm doing somewhat better in the past few weeks, but still experience the occasional nausea. Hoping to get better and help whomever I can through this forum.

i think nexium is a proton pump inhibitor? those have been identified as major risk factor for developing c diff. we need stomach acid to kill invading pathogens, and ibd flares may be caused by invading pathogens that tend to stick around in the digestive tract. im not really surprised that was the result of you being on nexium.

there is a treatment in F.D.A trials for IBD that have already put people in remission and may have cured UC. read more here- http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=52400

Thanks, wildbill. Yes, it is a proton pump inhibitor and they gave it to me because they suspected acid reflux. I also think it had a lot to do with my getting an intestinal obstruction 5 weeks later. Needless to say I stopped taking it (and Tums) immediately afterwards.