• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New on Remicade

I am a 76 year old who has had 2 resections have been on many meds, nothing helped to stop the ulcers in the small bowl, and the colon. I was just recently put on Remicade, have had 3 treatments. After the third treatment, I still have a lot of diarrhea, and very tired, lot of muscle cramps. Walking up at night with bowl movements and gas, and nausea. I have had Crohns since I was in my 30's. I would like to know how long do people wait to get results from this medication. :ack:

I am sorry to hear you are having to deal with so much.

Remicade seems to be different for everyone. We did not see a whole lot of results until about the 6th dose with our daughter, and some see results with the first or second. We also just doubled her dose because it wasnt lasting through the 8 weeks...

cortifoam can help with some pain/inflammaion/bleeding if the IBD is near the Sigmoid or lower.
try slowly introducing a mild Kefir too. Lots of good bacteria.

I hope you find lots of good support here and plenty of ideas and information.:heart:

Hello. Hope you feel better soon. Is different for everybody. some get relief from the first time others after 5. some get really tired and joint pain, others no side effects at all. Give it a chance. Best wishes.

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum!

Have you checked out the Remicade section of the forum ( here )? I haven't been on Remicade, myself, but it seems like a lot of people can take a couple months to feel the full effects.

:hug: I hope you feel better soon!

As others have mentioned, the time for it to become effective (if ever!) varies from person to person. I'm no longer on Remicade, but when I started it was effective within a week (I was in my mid-20's and in an active flare at the time). Let your doctor know of your progress and ask his/her opinion. Good luck!

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear of your struggles :(

With two resections and active disease in your small bowel, I have to wonder about vitamin B12 (which is absorbed in the last part of your small intestine). Have they tested your B12 level? I ask because a lot of symptoms can actually be due to B12 deficiency and it isn't tested for as often as it should be.

Either way, I hope you start feeling better soon!