• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Ostomate

Hi all, I just got out of hospital two days ago after having a Right Hemicolectomy and Ileostomy. As a result I have a temprary stoma. Here to learn about how to manage this beast - right now I'm not finding it much fun. Having trouble managing it at home with a nurse attending each day to help me, I'm really in doubt if I am going to be able to manage going back to work with this thing in a few weeks time....

Gra

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Gra. Getting an ileostomy is a major life event. It will take time to adjust. Finding the right equipment, changing and managing it all takes time but it gets easier. When you return to work remember to bring extra appliances and cloths just in case. Let us know if you have any questions, always happy to help.

Hi Gra
It takes time to get used to a Stoma. And it takes a reasonable amount of time for it to settle. The Stoma forum has plenty of supportive ostomates with lots of tips should you need them.
It was the Stoma forum that got me through my ileostomy.
Good luck with your new little friend.

I felt the exact same! It gets easier with each passing day, trust me. I've had a few depressing days but it just needs time. Don't rush anything and take things slowly, and talk to your stoma nurse about all your concerns, they really help. Good luck!

5th day since discharge from hospital, I'm not doing too bad overall, gradually learning to manage the stoma. I have a nurse attending daily to help and to advise, but its a steep learning curve. Apart from that my gut is still very sore where op. was done, have to be careful with it (no heavy lifting), also stretching and turning the waist can be painful. But starting to feel like I'm getting a little better each day.

annawato

Staff member
Congratulations on your new stoma and joining the stoma club!
All I can add is that it really does get easier with every passing day. The post op soreness will soon be gone and lots of the initial problems will slowly resolve. soon you will be laughing along with us about all the funny mishaps that occur. The best advice I can offer is to try and be positive about it all, always carry spare clothes and a kit made up of anything you need to change and clean up should you have a leak. They are thankfully rare but its good to be prepared. Also you may find your stoma changes shape, getting bigger or smaller with time so you may have to adjust the size of the hole cut in the flange. Not too big, leave about !/8 inch wriggle room around your stoma and use paste or seals to protect the skin. Also barrier wipes are essential to help protect the skin. Any other problems just ask away, we are here to help.